3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Winter ramblings

Post by Pascal »

So my 1999 DA20-C1 will be safely hangared for the next four months as it will be receiving a bunch of upgrades. I purchased it last April and managed to log 40 hours on it despite a very gray spring and being very busy at work.

I have put the plane on a three year upgrade path:

2017-2018 winter - mechanical
- Replace Sensenich propeller with a new MT prop and shiny nose cone
- Replace the rudder cables
- 400 hours engine inspection
- 1000 hour fuselage and wings inspection
- Replace the engine seals
- Replace the shower of sparks battery
- Replace the brake pads if required
- Maintain the com1 antenna
- Install LED landing/taxi lights
- Install red LED lighting under the glareshield
- Install two USB ports
- Install wing leading edge and root protective tape

2018 - 2019 winter - avionics
- Install Aspen Avionics VFR PFD or dual Garmin G5
- Install cheapest ADS-B out solution for the few times a year I fly to the U.S.
- Install modern nav/com/ waas gps with moving map

2019 - 2020 winter - cosmetics
- Engine cowling fireproof paint
- Repair composite/ repaint airplane
- New decals and lettering
- Purchase used wheel pants
- Find used bubble canopy that's not cracked
- New seats
- New taxi/landing light clear acrylic cover

Of course I can still see myself upgrading to a DA40 in the future, but for the moment being I prefer flying and maintaining an airplane I can actually afford.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: Winter ramblings

Post by RMarkSampson »

Pascal,
Since purchasing my '99 DA-20-C1 nearly 5 years ago, I've done a fair number of similar rehabs. A few were done prior to me buying 6CT. Since both our birds are of the same vintage, let me cross-check your list against my experiences. You are certainly welcome to chart your own course.

MT prop and rudder cables done before I bought 6CT. The prop has only needed some sanding/repainting - no issues with the metal leading edge or dings.

I'm not tracking a 400 hour engine inspection, I would recommend pulling the magnetos and sending them to a rehab shop. Continental, and most everyone else recommends a 500 hour IRAN on Magnetos (about $1,000).

I pulled my wings for the 1000 hr last year - amazingly easy to do. Recommend you purchase new bushings for the ailerons and flaps hinge points and replace all the bolts/nuts - they are out in the weather, not expensive and likely need replacing. Also, flipping the wings upside down on a table makes working on them really easy to do.

I don't know but my shower of sparks does not have a battery, other than the main starting battery - must be different types out there.

Brake pads last no more than 150 hours on my bird so definitely change them out. Recommend getting yourself a hand-squeeze oil can that can pump hydraulic fluid up from the little nipple on the brake calipers - easy to refill the cylinders pushing fluid up rather than pouring fluid down. Use a 1/4" wrench to loosen just the nipple - not the entire fitting. A second set of eyes is helpful for watching the master cylinders so you can stop pumping once they are full.

I also put Whelan LEDs in - "night and day improvement" over the incandescent factory lights. For the panel, there is a Service Bulletin on a Flood lamp (33-02). Nice result but unfortunately the Diamond solution was very price'ee.

USB ports are a great addition - here is the log book entry for my USB port install when I changed out my Engine Management System to the JPI EDM-900:
"Installed one MID-CONTINENT TRUE BLUE TA102 series dual USB Port IAW Installation Manual and Operating Instructions in previous location of the VM-1000 fuel quantity gauge – unit is FAA TSO-C71 certified; RTCA DO-160G qualified. Installation manual number 9017942, Rev E, Nov 15, 2013. USB port wired to previously unused 3 amp circuit breaker. “USB” label placed on circuit board."

Further down your list - check the belly of your aircraft, that fire paint is applied there along with inside the cowlings. When I did my fire paint work - I needed to remove all the flaking belly paint and redo.

One item I would add/check for your list. If your NLG rubber pucks have not been replaced - they are probably hard as a rock and compressed. You might consider changing them out with fresh pucks - your NLG will thank you, and your airframe will thank you. Also check those bushings that hold the NLG to the aircraft - there should not be any slop in those bushings. There is a jig you can build easily and cheaply to compress the pucks back into the stack.

Per ADS-B, at some point everyone will have it - and ADS-B planes talk to each other. So you will see them with or without ground stations supporting the network (i.e. Canada). I'm now constantly seeing other planes on my iPad with tail numbers displayed - that is telling me that our ADS-B units are directly interfacing with each other. I installed a GDL-84 with a Flight Stream blue tooth connection. The GDL-84 has an integrated WAAS GPS so I did not need to spend $$'s upgrading my GNS-430s. The best part? It is the audio call outs from the GDL-84 alerting you to close-in traffic.

Otherwise, I would just toss out your list and fly south to Florida for the winter. The flying weather has been fabulous here... (sorry, I could not resist the dig) Good luck on your winter maintenance quest.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

Thanks a lot for your insights Mark. I will definitely show these to my AME. The airplane is in Alma (CYTF), which is 200nm from my Location (Montreal, CYJN).

It is presently minus 18 degrees Celcius here (0F). I would love to live in southern United States in order to have fewer IFR days that keep my airplane grounded. But I have a great job and family here. So I make do by being a volunteer ski patroller (winter appears to be shorter when you enjoy it).

Your ADS-B solution looks very interesting. Here in Canada, from what I read from the COPA (Canadian equivalent to AOPA), ADS-B will eventually be mandatory here too, how soon we just don't know. But Transport Canada seems to be hinting that we'll have to equip with 1090, not 978 MHz. I am worried about installing something I'll have to replace a few years down the road.

The other problem with ADS-B here is that in Quebec there are a lot of very old airframes flying around, original avionics and all. Many people flying under Class C airspace, simply to avoid talking to controllers. Many people flying without a transponder, and not broadcasting. I will never see those on the iPad. Lots of chinese students coming here to get their license, flying C150s that will never go to the U.S., so I doubt their planes will broadcast ADS-B until Transport Canada makes it mandatory.

Last year, two chinese students flying C150s collided over the CYHU airport. One survived with only a broken leg (crashed on the commercial center's roof which was covered with several feet of fresh snow), the other one died (crashed in the parking lot). With their limited english skills, these are the ones I'd be most interested in seeing on my iPad. Right now my collision avoidance strategy involves climbing in the terminal as soon as possible after takeoff, and staying at altitudes above those at which students typically fly.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by RMarkSampson »

I would definitely wait until you know what frequency is going to be sanctioned. Certainly would be a shame if Canada dictated 1090 but many US planes like mine were 978 - that would certainly limit cross border ops. My main recommendation is to ultimately get a system that gives you audio traffic call-outs. Looking at your iPad is great but too many times for me the audio call out is the first thing that alerts you to traffic.

One more maintenance item to recommend. Greasing the Main Landing Gear bearings and races. Aircraft Spruce has a "Handy Bearing Packer" which pushes grease into the bearing while pushing out the old grease. Well worth the $30. Also, all lubrication points for the 100/200 hour and even the 1000 hour would be deemed Preventative Maintenance and something a owner/pilot can perform - at least with the FAA. Might be different up north.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

RMarkSampson wrote: MT prop and rudder cables done before I bought 6CT. The prop has only needed some sanding/repainting - no issues with the metal leading edge or dings.
MT Propeller installed, rudder cables replaced.
RMarkSampson wrote: I'm not tracking a 400 hour engine inspection, I would recommend pulling the magnetos and sending them to a rehab shop. Continental, and most everyone else recommends a 500 hour IRAN on Magnetos (about $1,000).
Performed by previous owner less than an year before I purchased C-GSMT
RMarkSampson wrote: I pulled my wings for the 1000 hr last year - amazingly easy to do. Recommend you purchase new bushings for the ailerons and flaps hinge points and replace all the bolts/nuts - they are out in the weather, not expensive and likely need replacing. Also, flipping the wings upside down on a table makes working on them really easy to do.
Done! Replaced all bushings and hinge points and all bolts/nuts. All bellcranks lubed.
RMarkSampson wrote: I don't know but my shower of sparks does not have a battery, other than the main starting battery - must be different types out there.
Battery replaced.
RMarkSampson wrote: Brake pads last no more than 150 hours on my bird so definitely change them out.
Done
RMarkSampson wrote: I also put Whelan LEDs in - "night and day improvement" over the incandescent factory lights.
Done!
RMarkSampson wrote: For the panel, there is a Service Bulletin on a Flood lamp (33-02). Nice result but unfortunately the Diamond solution was very price'ee.
My mechanic installed some leds under the glareshield he procured from Aircraft Spruce.
RMarkSampson wrote: USB ports are a great addition
USB ports installed
RMarkSampson wrote: Further down your list - check the belly of your aircraft, that fire paint is applied there along with inside the cowlings. When I did my fire paint work - I needed to remove all the flaking belly paint and redo.
Probably next year or in 2020 depending whether I do avionics upgrades first or cosmetic/fireproof paint/interior.
RMarkSampson wrote: One item I would add/check for your list. If your NLG rubber pucks have not been replaced - they are probably hard as a rock and compressed. You might consider changing them out with fresh pucks - your NLG will thank you, and your airframe will thank you. Also check those bushings that hold the NLG to the aircraft - there should not be any slop in those bushings. There is a jig you can build easily and cheaply to compress the pucks back into the stack.
Rubber pucks and bushings replaced. Bolts holding the main landing gear replaced with new ones.
RMarkSampson wrote: Greasing the Main Landing Gear bearings and races
Bearings replaced with new ones and new grease.
RMarkSampson wrote: Otherwise, I would just toss out your list and fly south to Florida for the winter.
I visited Florida for the first time a month ago. Lantana. There is a nice GA airport nearby. Nice state!
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by RMarkSampson »

Note to self - if I need to work on my plane I need to spend a winter in Canada where planes are pampered in their hangars. Nice work! It is always a joy to fly a plane that you know is in great shape.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Pascal,

The Canadian ADS-B solution is Aerion, which is definitely 1090 MHz and what's more, requires an upper attenna. It's seems likely that Aerion will become the world solution while US ADS-B will be the odd man out. For us Canadian owners, that means having two systems.

On the other hand, I have not seen anything suggesting mandatory ADS-B for GA in Canada. So I plan to install US 978 MHz ground based capability and forget about Aerion. Who needs ADS-B when you have 126.7 anyway ;)
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

For me, I'm going to wait and see how the Canadian ADS-B pans out in the next year or so.

Technology is changing rapidly, and since it's not mandatory YET - whats the rush until Jan 1, 2020 if you want to fly in the USA in areas that require it.