3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

winch or powered tow bar?

Post by soarer20 »

I have a lot of difficulty getting my DA-20 in my hanger with just the tow bar. My hanger is slightly up hill.

Pushing on the prop and steering with the tow bar makes it a little easier.

Is it acceptable to push on the wood prop? This is an A1

I am considering a powered tow bar. The previous owner used a winch on the tail :shock: I called the factory and they said that the tail was not designed for moving the aircraft...

Any tips to help me get her in the hanger more easily?
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Re: winch or powered tow bar?

Post by Derek »

Maybe a winch on the towbar or on a fitting that attaches to the nose wheel? Would be great if there is a remote controlled winch but a wired controller isn’t so bad. Avoids the expense of the powered towbar if you only need it at the one spot.
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

I was actually going to do the winch trick as well - my hangar has a similar problem of being slightly up hill, and when there is ice outside, it is impossible to move her.

I have seen videos of the DA40 being moved with a winch to the tie down hook on the tail - but considering they made the DA20 tailskid an anchor point - you would assume it is designed to withstand a fairly substantial amount of tension.

Are you sure Diamond didn't get the impression that you were thinking about wrapping a rope around the vertical stabilizer or something like that?
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Here is how I do it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BShoqQG2G8

If you read the comments, you will see the parts that I used and how I mounted the winch.

Feel free to message me if you want any additional information.

Sandy
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

I use one of these on my DA40. They come in battery or corded versions. https://www.minimaxtugs.com/product-p/da20-40-50.htm
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I have an uphill push into my hangar. Makes it easy to pull the airplane out, but...

I considered a winch, but the airplane needs to be straight in front of the winch axis to use that, which can be problematic in my situation, due to adjacent hangars, parked airplanes, a nearby fueling station, etc. I basically cannot be assured of taxi so that my airplane is oriented tail-first to my hangar.

For those reasons, I use the Power Tow.
IMG_1018.jpg
Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

There's also the issue of getting it out, on occasion. My hangar is fairly level and is nominally a 44 ft. hangar. Nevertheless I use the PowerTow to get the plane back in, as it's easier to control. But I also use it, without bothering to start the engine, to pull it out. It's just more convenient than all the therbligs involved in using the basic tow bar.

But on occasion I'll have the use the PT engine to get it out because there can be this bit of ice perfectly positioned outside the hangar such that I can't get it moving by hand. Starting the motor and leaning down on the handle puts lots more force to the wheel than my weight alone does and allows me to pull it out easily.

FWIW, the gas-powered PT has served me well for over 15 years. But there is the nuisance of having to refuel it and change oil, etc. every so often. I'm looking to change to an electric one or better yet convert the PT to electric.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote:... But there is the nuisance of having to refuel it and change oil, etc. every so often. I'm looking to change to an electric one or better yet convert the PT to electric.
Rich, I have never "refueled" it. I simply dump my fuel samples from the tank drains and gascolator drain into the Powertow tank each preflight in the hangar. Three drainfuls seems to be just enough to back the airplane into the hangar. The fuel level in the Powertow tank hasn't gone down in three years.

Steve
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

OK, if you around 6' tall and 200 lbs, throw a leg over the tail of your DA-20 and push down to raise the nose wheel and also against the Vertical Stabilizer and apply Newton's laws of motion. Football experience is not necessary but it does help if you have a centerline seam or hangar floor stripe to keep you on vector. I'm not sure how dignified this procedure looks - but it works for me. I also like how simple it is. For Pascal, I can't help with your ice problem, the only ice I have to deal with is in my post flight drink.
1911Tex
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Larry
Aircraft Registration: N389DC
Airports: KGTU

Post by 1911Tex »

I dont think pushing or pulling on your wood prop is proper (no pun intended). I guess I am lucky in a low bid city hanger that is level with the ramp; Plus simple tow bar is super easy. Minus, when it rains, guess where the water flows! Ice, what ice?