3 Diamonds Member
First Name: jerry
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N175LE
Airports: KFUL

DA20 my muffler/exhaust broke

Post by katanajer »

Hi guys,

I did my preflight and found my exhaust piper wiggling, further inspection, I found it broke at the weld where it meets the muffler. a new one at diamond is 2500 plus shipping and tax.

Does anyone know where I can get another one or have a used one for sale? Or does the part cross reference with another part?

I took it to an A&P that does Rotax and welding and he quoted me $600 which is way better than 2500 to fix the weld and inside since it's possibly damaged. Only problem is he wont start on it for another 2-3 weeks and I would like to fly sooner.

Thanks in advance
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: DA20 my muffler/exhaust broke

Post by RMarkSampson »

No help on the muffler but I am tracking this Canadian Airworthiness Directive as applicable to the DA-20: CF-90-03R2 EXHAUST TYPE CABIN AND COCKPIT HEATERS. Based on this AD I would tend to be conservative with regard to replace or repair of your muffler. At the very least, ensure a post-weld inspection includes a pressure test - otherwise there is a real possibility of getting Carbon Monoxide into the cockpit from your heater system.
http://wwwapps3.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/ ... f&type=PDE

I would also inspect all your exhaust risers. I recently found two of my risers broken at the flange. I would not have known except I was digging into cylinder issue that required me to remove the entire exhaust system.
Broken Exhaust Risers.jpeg
katanajer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by katanajer »

Thanks for the AD inspection. As for the diamond muffler/exhaust. I located an aircraft exhaust place that dealt with DA20-A1s. They have the part, however, its 1 number off. diamond classifies it as 20-7800 but the shop has it as 20-7500 and so do most places. I looked at both muffler and exhaust, it's the exact same thing, only difference is the cost. The actual exhaust new or overhaul from Acorn which is a very reputable company is more than half the cost from Diamond. So for me I'm getting the one that is almost 3x less
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

I'm curious how much Acorn charged and how quickly they turned it around for you. Thanks in advance. -John
katanajer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by katanajer »

So I found a school that dealt with DA20s. Only one part number has been changed for the A1 in the downloadable manual. the original parts used an older part number. I had it examined and it's the exact same part with no difference. 7500-00-00 is the same as 7800-01-01. they flight school actually discussed with me for about an hour of their maintenance as well. the mufflers for flight school didn't last long so they bought a surplus to do quick changes. total cost from diamond $2600 plus tax and shipping and then cost from dealer. totaling over $3k. Total cost from flight school $600. I was also told and shown its a common part you can find anywhere if you use the old part number. installed and flies great.
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

Does the flight school have any extras for sale? Is the muffler common to Rotax? or is there another product that uses this type of muffler? My search on Google found nothing.

I just replaced all of my exhaust pipes with new surplus I found online for $250 total.

Thanks. John