2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Re: How to value a DA20

Post by okent »

Keith, I had brought that up to them last year and it went nowhere. In the conversation this week the current owners relayed that they are just ready to get it off their plate. They've let it sit for 5 years and have no desire to spend another dime on it, they are ready for it to be someone else's problem.
Frankly I'd rather be the one having the repair conversations with the shop because I saw the way they refused to accept the recommendation of two different mechanics.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I made a reasonable (I thought) offer on a DA42 when I was shopping. The owner told the agent that I clearly didn't know how to assess the value of an asset and he wanted no further contact with me. I was surprised. I got a better plane anyway, but I was still surprised.

Hell of a way to run a railroad.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Colin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:53 am I made a reasonable (I thought) offer on a DA42 when I was shopping. The owner told the agent that I clearly didn't know how to assess the value of an asset and he wanted no further contact with me. I was surprised. I got a better plane anyway, but I was still surprised.

Hell of a way to run a railroad.
I ran into this decades ago. A Comanche 180 that had been slowly rotting away on the ramp at Idaho Falls for years. Faded paint, flat tires, windows you could hardly see through. I called the guy with an unsolicited offer. He was highly insulted, quoting me the many wonderful attributes of the plane. These were all valid, assuming it could be flown at all and one dared. Oh, well. :scratch:
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

When i bought my DA-20 it had just been overhaul - and I paid for that “fresh engine.” About 300 hours since that overhaul my oil pressure dropped. It was on the ground at my home airport so there was no emergency but oil pressure would not get above 10 psi. The culprit was a broken spring - a $20 part. The IO-240 has two springs in the oil pump for reduanacy so she could still move some oil. It was a simple fix. I’m having a hard time with two mechanics going from needing to fix an oil pump to saying they can’t and telling the owner that he needed to overhaul the engine. One is inexpensive, the other is not. Your oil emergency was likely due to a single failed part - which means you don’t need to replace 420 parts to get her operational again... just saying, that does not compute...
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by okent »

I researched the problem I encountered and ran across the same possible fix as well. Maybe it is that but I wasn't there for any of the conversations with the mechanics, all second hand info from the owners. I guess it's possible both mechanics saw an opportunity to stick it to the owners.
If I can get it bought I'll be looking for someone with as spotless a reputation as possible to look it over.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Savvy Aviation is Mike Busch's outfit. I have an annual subscription with them so I download all my EDM-900 data to their website. If I have a question or worry about something I submit a ticket so they look at the data and provide recommendations to me. Their website mentions doing pre-buys. https://www.savvyaviation.com/home/cont ... inquiries/
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by okent »

Thanks! I had a business dinner 150 miles south of me this afternoon. A friend of mine has multiple planes and had his pilot fly me down instead of driving. Saved me 2+ hours compared to driving time so I'm in bed at a descent hour. Really looking forward to the DA20.
hogster50
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Darren
Aircraft Registration: N441Z
Airports: KSCH

Post by hogster50 »

For me I would overhaul engine myself. That way I know who did it and I choose which company does it. People looking for low ball IMO are not fair to the seller. It's not the way to approach an aircraft purchase. I wouldn't counter too! Upgrading/repairing again IMO I rather choose who does it. So buy it fairly and contract the work of your choosing. Be involved and you would have the confidence it's done correctly without wondering.
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by okent »

That was my plan, to do all the repairs/work myself, just trying to figure out what the aircraft was worth considering what I would need done.
The couple with the plane are not focused on selling at this time and I got tired of waiting to even have a conversation about price.
I bought a CTLS and have been flying it since May and happy with the purchase.
Once I get some time with two seats I plan to move up to a 4 seater but that's probably a year or more away.
I really like the DA40 but if Diamond/Garmin can't figure out how to take care of new and existing owners I will go with another plane.
An example is Boatguy: bought a 2018 da40 and before he took delivery his system was out of date.
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

That's a sad story about this DA20. Sounds like this one will eventually enter the market as a fixer-upper.

I really like these planes. There are times I think about going back to a DA20 but I share your concerns about factory support.