2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Re: How to value a DA20

Post by okent »

Steven, another issue that I really didn't appreciate until I bought my current plane is autopilot. My CTLS has a TruTrak and the benefit is massive for me with cross country. I just flew to Oshkosh and that was 5+ hours each way.
As far as I know there is no mechanism to add autopilot to a DA20. That is a deal breaker for me.
I stopped by the Diamond area at OSH and discussed my concerns and they are not interested in legacy planes because the financials just dont make sense. I can appreciate that but it just seems that there is such a barrier to allow upgrades.
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

Don't know if you can add an autopilot to a DA20. Honestly I never missed is when I had my DA20's. I could see it adding some comfort on long flights as you describe.

On a DA40 it's a different matter, I think an autopilot in IFR conditions is a significant safety enhancement. Not having a path to add an autopilot to the earlier non-AP DA40s is a real bummer.

Recently I noticed the DA20 is no longer on Diamond's website. Not sure what that means.
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by okent »

The DA20 is much more fun to hand fly but I'm really never flying low and slow, always headed somewhere.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

There are a few DA-20s out there with a STEC-30 autopilot - mine is one. So it can be done - it was a factory install. If you look at Chapter 22 of the DA-20 integrated parts catalog (IPC) you will see the installation outlined. I'm not sure how many parts are obtainable and/or custom-Diamond. I have not heard of anyone installing one in aftermarket. Definitely doable, but maybe not cost-effective if you need to cut a blank check for an A&P. If someone was really serious about running this rabbit trail I would take all the pictures needed to help mark that course. And yes I do love it for my cross-country flights.
okent
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by okent »

There was a thread a while back that ran down all the potential avenue's for autopilot install and my take was that it was essentially impossible without finding a wrecked DA-20 with an autopilot to salvage. From what I recall there were less than 15 from the factory. Ever.
I called Diamond and could not get a return call.
For not much more money than what Diamond would theoretically charge to install an autopilot I bought my 2008 CTLS with glass panel, autopilot, parachute...