Minimum age/height/weight for a passenger?

Any DA20 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Minimum age/height/weight for a passenger?

Post by Pascal »

A friend just asked me to bring his daughter up for a ride in my DA20-C1.

I wonder what would be the minimum safe age/height/weight for a young passenger considering the seatbelts...
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Re: Minimum age/height/weight for a passenger?

Post by DaveS1900 »

Pascal,
If you are non-commercial and flying in the USA, read 14 CFR 91.107.

This link is for airline travelers but has some good information. https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children/

Dave S.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

The DA-20 is a great platform for that first experience. I fly EAA Young Eagles every chance I get. Minimum age for a Young Eagle is 8 years old. Probably more to do with maturity than height and weight - and their insurance that covers YE flights. Remember they have their own set of flight controls so you don't want them yanking and banking at an inopportune time. Never had an issue with buckling them in the four point harness. I've flown some pretty small YE's and the biggest issue was seeing out the canopy. "Butt to eye sight" distance is definitely the challenge. They will not be able to see over the panel in most cases. However, you definitely want them to be able to see the ground while looking out the side of the canopy. I repurposed a cloth-covered Styrofoam booster seat for my smaller Young Eagles so they can see everything to the right of the aircraft. Just be sure that the booster has no ability to move forward and block the stick from controlling the full range of the elevator.

I also recommend planning your flight for right turns - go find their house and their school and do a right turn around those points. They will love seeing their everyday locations from our airborne perspective. Obviously pick you day for a great experience with no turbulence. I've never had a bad experience flying Young Eagles, even the young man that was so excited that his sinuses decided to drain during taxi to the runway. Keep that canopy rag close at hand just in case! Finally, I always ensure I have my smart phone with camera positioned to get a few pictures in flight - the parent left on the ground will appreciate that text message with photo that shows their child getting a nice flight experience in your DA-20.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

My wife is fairly short in stature and so rides with a booster cushion. I use this for young eagles when they're on the young side. With this cushion the seat belts fit better also. Of course some are teens and I don't use it for them.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5