4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: DA-20 MT prop STC experience

Post by RMarkSampson »

With the MT prop I still call 6CT a 122 knot bird. Of course I'm not winding her up to see how fast she can sprint. The POH show her the fastest at the best LOP economy around 8K MSL. Depending on winds I routinely fly 7.5K and 8.5K cross countries because I can cruise LOP around 2600 RPM and under 6 GPH. CHT, EGT and %HP remain engine-friendly for those 2-3 hour flights. My 130+ sprints are usually gravity assisted 200 FPM descents from those cruising altitudes. Of course I do have a couple of pics of 150+ knot ground speeds with Mother Nature doing her part. Ultimately I call the MT a great cruising prop and not a speed prop...

For other speed tweaks, I have not flown her with the wheel pants for several years now - there is not much of a speed difference and IMO the wow factor does not exceed the PITA factor for checking tire air pressure with the wheel pants on. My biggest complaint about the MT prop has nothing to do with speed or performance - I simply have not been able to keep the tips painted anytime you skirt around a light shower. I went to a two-part epoxy paint thinking that would improve adhesion but alas, someone soon found a FL rain shower and the tips lost their nice paint job.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Re: DA-20 MT prop STC experience

Post by YCCA »

So I researched some of the previous MT prop threads. There was a video in there of a guy going a little over 140 kts but only at 2500 rpm and a normal fuel flow. I’m thinking I could get 150 kts with an MT prop