3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

DA-20 MT prop STC experience

Post by YCCA »

Does anyone have experience with swapping their prop for MT version? I’m specifically wondering what the price was and was the performance worth it. Thanks
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Re: DA-20 MT prop STC experience

Post by Derek »

I switched to the MT around 6 years ago. I love it. It’s such a superior prop in all ways. It’s stronger, withstanding rain, sleet, pebbles etc better, and it is amazingly faster. My cruise went from 119 knots to 132 knots at the same reasonable fuel usage setting. Cost was around $3,000.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by YCCA »

Derek wrote:I switched to the MT around 6 years ago. I love it. It’s such a superior prop in all ways. It’s stronger, withstanding rain, sleet, pebbles etc better, and it is amazingly faster. My cruise went from 119 knots to 132 knots at the same reasonable fuel usage setting. Cost was around $3,000.
So you are saying the entire setup only cost 3K, installed?
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

I installed a new MT propeller last spring for 6000$ cad, replacing the old Sensenich. This is an amazing propeller. I experienced the same performance improvements as Derek mentioned.

In my humble opinion this the best upgrade you can put on your DA20-C1, bar none.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I have the MT prop too - but cannot contrast/compare. Previous owner bit that bullet. Having said that, I've been very happy with the performance. Believe "Cruise Performance" is where the MT prop shines. One downside, many of the graphs in the POH are for the other two props - not the MT. So my POH is not totally truthful with every performance diagram. If you happen to have MT graphs I don't have I would appreciate you posting them.

MT Prop USA is located in Deland, FL. I flew over a year or so ago and they did a quick inspection. No issues. They gave me good advice for when/how to rehab. If you need to rehab the prop, it takes time and they do have a loaner option. I also picked up a few new MT decals for just a few dollars so I could paint the entire prop and then replace the decals. I also purchased the prop tape for the leading edge near the hub - but it is a standard 3M product that you can purchase at most high end industrial supply stores.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

RMarkSampson wrote:I have the MT prop too - but cannot contrast/compare. Previous owner bit that bullet. Having said that, I've been very happy with the performance. Believe "Cruise Performance" is where the MT prop shines. One downside, many of the graphs in the POH are for the other two props - not the MT. So my POH is not totally truthful with every performance diagram. If you happen to have MT graphs I don't have I would appreciate you posting them.

MT Prop USA is located in Deland, FL. I flew over a year or so ago and they did a quick inspection. No issues. They gave me good advice for when/how to rehab. If you need to rehab the prop, it takes time and they do have a loaner option. I also picked up a few new MT decals for just a few dollars so I could paint the entire prop and then replace the decals. I also purchased the prop tape for the leading edge near the hub - but it is a standard 3M product that you can purchase at most high end industrial supply stores.
I will post tonight the MT propeller performance graph paper I received with the propeller. I have it scanned and stored along with other documents in ForeFlight.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pascal »

As promised, here is the MT Propeller supplement

https://www.sealandair.ca/images/AFMS_E ... proved.pdf

With higher speed comes higher fuel consumption at the same RPM.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

Sorry for delayed reply to price question. I believe the prop itself was around $3500 USD + install that my mechanic did at annual. Install wasn’t a lot - less than $500. This prop and ForeFlight are my two fav upgrades.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by YCCA »

I talked to the MT prop guy in Florida. It’s just under $2900 shipped anywhere in the US. I looked at the charts and I’m getting better performance than what is listed there with the older prop I have on now. This is with wheel pants on and full throttle but I was making 2700ish RPM and 142 kts at 2500’. I wonder how much faster I could go with the MT prop?
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by YCCA »

6E2C0F9F-633C-41E2-A137-23CF9C5D5821.jpeg