3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Re: Broken rudder pedal/brake bracket

Post by YCCA »

The new part is beefier at the broken points then the one you see in the picture. The part number had been changed so I’m sure this has been an issue in the past. I wish I would have taken a pic of both, side by side, before it was installed. That part held the entire rudder pedal and brake mechanism in place. Yes the rudder still worked but the entire assembly was basically laying upright on the floor.. The way it was, it was impossible to get full braking on the left side.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

Yes the rudder still worked but the entire assembly was basically laying on the floor. The bracket supports the entire rudder pedal assembly
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Post by thefoxx »

Wow - this exact same thing happened when i was getting checked out in a flight school DA20 4 years ago before I purchased mine, and also happened during the spin recovery. I pressed on the rudder pedal and it definitely didn't feel right, but didn't negatively affect the recovery either thankfully - but just the braking action - exactly like YCCA had mentioned.

My theory is that because the spin can be a fairly intimidating procedure, the recovery rudder input could be excessively hard (really hit that rudder pedal fast and hard) and eventually lead to the breaking of that bracket. That was my only thought as to how it could happen.
lukepalmer
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Luke
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N223DC
Airports:

Post by lukepalmer »

Does anyone know of a place to buy a servicable rudder pedal like the one being discussed in this post?

Diamond wants like $3k for a new one. 8()