3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

ADSB Out Recommendations

Post by Derek »

Hey guys
I was quoted $8,000 CAN (about $6,000 USD) to install ADSB Out in my steamguage DA20:

Appareo ESG ADS-B Out Transponder with Stratus 3i ADS-B In Receiver - Installed and Interfaced as required
TransCal SSD120-35C Blind Encoder Perform Pitot/Static Recertification
- Includes Altimeter recert, Transponder/Encoder correspondance, and leak check Installation of required GPS antenna on composite fuselage
Misc. Parts and Hardware
STC, logbook, weight & balance, etc.

The price surprised me. Has anyone found a less expensive way to do this?
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: ADSB Out Recommendations

Post by Pascal »

I was quoted an identical price for a Garmin GTX 335 in Montreal.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Derek »

Thanks Pascal. Any idea which adsb out unit is better? Does the garmin one do anything else?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I'm not done with mine yet, but it looks like it will be about $3.5K (I'll be doing the install with my A&P signing off on it):

Garmin GDL-82 (not 1090, which I believe you will likely need in Canada)
New Comant combined VHF/GPS antenna to replace the COM1 antenna
Parts kit to install above antenna (OSB40-084)
Miscellaneous hardware and cabling
Foreflight Scout ADS-B in (I already have this functional)

I already ran the new GPS cabling from behind the cargo compartment to under the pilot's seat (where the GDL-82 will be mounted) during my recently completed Annual. My avionics guy checked the power output of my current dinosaur KT76C transponder during my altimeter/transponder certification, IAW the Garmin install manual, and it is within specs. I'll have to do some work behind the baggage compartment and remove the pilot's seat to complete the installation, but at least I won't have to pull the rear seats...

Planning on finishing it when I get all of the parts together...

Steve
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

For Canada it might be an extra headache. At the moment proposed compliance includes diversity, which means TXPDR antennae on top and bottom of the aircraft and TXPDR that supports it. This severely limits one's options. One hopes it doesn't shake out that way.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Derek wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:06 pm Thanks Pascal. Any idea which adsb out unit is better? Does the garmin one do anything else?
I believe both do the job just fine. But for some reason avionics shops here are mostly Garmin. Therefore, that’s what they want to install since they are familiar with those.
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

GDL-82 is what I’m doing but I am in the US. I think it’s around $1800
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Derek »

Thanks all. So after talking to a helpful knowledgeable fellow at Brant aero avionics shop, either the garmin or the appareo will work just fine. Better to get the Appareo if you already have a foreflight stratus adsb in receiver as I do, saves about $800.

However, Rich is right! I chuckled at the word diversity as it sounds like something a Canadian must say for everything, apparently including adsb hardware choices. What it means is the US went with a ground based adsb tower system, requiring an adsb antenna that sees underneath the plane. Canada, because of its bigger landmass with far lower population, opted for a satellite based system which requires, for best results, the antenna to see from the top of the plane. Diversity means that planes flying through Canadian airspace may need an antenna on the top AND on the bottom of the plane to work best on both sides of the border. But Canada hasn’t officially decided yet as the antenna technology is still catching up. An easy fix, for example, is a wing tip antenna that can see up and down at the same time and avoiding the need to install two antennas. This type of antenna is not available for adsb in Canada yet but it likely will be soon given the need.

Long story short, Canadian GA planes are best to wait until around August - Sept 2019 before buying a solution for adsb out as there may be more clear regulations and a better solution about to hit the market.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

On a related note, I got to looking into the Aireon implementation, being pushed as a world-wide solution and specifically Canada's choice. I thought, hey this looks interesting.
BUT
Of course it doesn't do FIS-B (weather and such via ADS-B in). Moreover it looks like it doesn't do ADS-B in at all, from what I can see. It's solely to support the ATC system. Of course direct inter-airplane traffic communication still works with ADS-B out/in. But what's missing is anything like the US integration with legacy radar which supports informing ADS-B IN users about Mode C/S traffic unequipped with ADS-B out. Certainly in the US this is and will continue to be an important addition in certain airspace (I see lots of this).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I've said it before but I'll just re-mention it again - one of the best features of my Garmin GDL-84 is the aural call-outs into the planes communication system. I understand that finding that low-cost solution is part of the ADS-B analysis but I feel this single feature is something worth keeping in the purchase equation. You simply do not fly with your eyes locked on a computer screen, so many times my 'bit'chen betty" is the first one to tally ho on a nearby contact. I mention this because, quite frankly, I really was not tracking this feature as a reason to buy the GDL-84 when I was shopping for my ADS-B solution. I only realized it after the fact. Now I want to hold myself as an expert in ADS-B technology, but in fact, I just stumbled into a good thing.