5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: ADSB Out Recommendations

Post by Rich »

RMarkSampson wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:30 pm I've said it before but I'll just re-mention it again - one of the best features of my Garmin GDL-84 is the aural call-outs into the planes communication system. I understand that finding that low-cost solution is part of the ADS-B analysis but I feel this single feature is something worth keeping in the purchase equation. You simply do not fly with your eyes locked on a computer screen, so many times my 'bit'chen betty" is the first one to tally ho on a nearby contact. I mention this because, quite frankly, I really was not tracking this feature as a reason to buy the GDL-84 when I was shopping for my ADS-B solution. I only realized it after the fact. Now I want to hold myself as an expert in ADS-B technology, but in fact, I just stumbled into a good thing.
FF does the same thing, though not directly into the A/C sound system. Plus ground-proximity, "short final" and other nanny nagging, unless one disables them. The "approaching runway" alerts seem to always come at an inopportune time :tap: , so I normally have that one disabled.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: ADSB Out Recommendations

Post by RMarkSampson »

There is a "Mute" button on my panel that squashes the announcement if needed. I do use it for taxi and/or running around the pattern with others.