1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N273DA
Airports: KSEE

Flaps circuit breaker pops

Post by iconoclast »

DA20 A1 flaps circuit breaker popped and will not stay in (more than a fraction of a second). Happens when flaps switch is in any position. Flaps, naturally, are completely inop.

Same symptom with flaps motor unplugged. Circuit breaker stays in when flaps switch disconnected.

Can not find a good, complete, wiring diagram or diagnostic info in MM.

Looking specifically for pinouts on switch, or test protocol for switch.

Anyone have a similar problem, solution, parts sourcing suggestions? Best info now is bad switch, but don't have a good way to test it. Visual inspection of circuit board, looks ok so far (no obviously burnt components).

Any help appreciated. I'm in San Diego.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: Flaps circuit breaker pops

Post by Chris B »

Have you tried contacting Diamond technical support? IME they are quite responsive and helpful, and often have access to information that didn't get into the MM.

Chris
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Only Flap issue I had with my DA-20 was a micro-switch that did not work correctly. Trouble shooting guide identified the problem and a new switch fixed the problem. Chapter 27-50 for the DA-20-C1 was very helpful for me. AMM Troubleshooting guide lists about six possible causes/repairs if flap circuit-breaker will not stay closed. I found the wiring diagram in chapter 92 in my AMM for the C1. I've captured the diagram as a PDF - see attached. Can't imagine it being much different than for the A1.

Good luck, pesky electrical problems are sometimes easy, sometimes hard, to fix...
Attachments
Flap Wiring Diagram.pdf
(88.85 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Maintenance Manual 92-10-00 page 2.

See attachement
Attachments
Flap switch.PNG
iconoclast
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by iconoclast »

Thanks for the wiring diagrams. My AMM just says "to be inserted" in that section.

I'm not sure how to associate the wire id numbers to the connector on the box, probably will have to resort to testing and documenting the wiring connections myself. Happy to share the work product if anyone else needs it sometime.

Also, if anyone has a circuit diagram or any other info for the flaps controller board, that would be super helpful.

I called Diamond, but they didn't have any other info on it they were willing to part with.

RMarkSampson> AMM Troubleshooting guide lists about six possible causes/repairs if flap circuit-breaker will not stay closed

I must have the wrong version of the AMM, although I recently downloaded it from Diamond. I don't see those items in the troubleshooting guide - can you post a URL and page number? Really appreciate it.

I've identified a component on the circuit board which appears to be fried, will do a circuit board level repair and let you all know how it turns out. Replacement component will be here in a few days.

Btw, was quoted $3,200 MSRP for the actuator (initially quoted for wrong part). That's $500 more than Cirrus gets for the actuator on my Cirrus (same manufacturer) I'm going to guess there are a lot fewer used Diamond DA20 actuators on the market. Going to light some votive candles and say a few prayers that that little gem never goes out on me.

Thanks again everyone.
iconoclast
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by iconoclast »

Got a call back from Diamond, apparently there is a 2018 service bulletin calling for the replacement of the controller and microswitch assembly. MSRP is $2,200 for kit DAC1-27-04AMK0.

Service bulletin is http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... -Rev-0.pdf

Given that my flaps and controller have worked reliably for 23 years, will probably go with the board-level component replacement if the diode failure did not also take out some other components.
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

Thanks for the SB reference - I took my a/c to a Diamond Service for my annual this year so I had not trolled for any new SB's in 2018 or this year. I'll certainly wait until I have a problem/reason before I jump on this one. However, it is nice to know that Diamond has a solution, albeit an expensive solution.

I noticed that the wire diagram in the AMM that I previously uploaded is different from the wire diagram I have in my files for my specific airframe - at least the wire numbers. I've uploaded a scan of my wire diagram for 6CT in case that helps. My DA20 was built in 1999. Sounds like you have things traced down to a specific fault already. Of course all these wire diagrams depict the circuit boards as a box with no internal circuitry depicted. No help there...
DA-20-C1 C0066 Flight Controls Wire Diagram.pdf
(105.87 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Years ago I had the White Wire flap control module go bad. Same symptoms as you - pops the CB when connected.

I was able to send it to White Wire and they repaired it quickly and inexpensively.

I believe the company is out of business, hence the SB for a new module. I doubt there is any (legal) solution other than compliance with the SB. At the time, White Wire was the only approved repair station for that component.
iconoclast
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by iconoclast »

I was able to do a component repair and fix the controller. I also sourced another controller core (not working, apparently same issue). This one is a White Wire, but I don't have the harness adapter. If someone else has a controller problem, post here or pm me and I'll do whatever I can to help. I also fixed a different flap problem on my Cirrus which required a lot of research, so I may have some decent knowledge to share.