3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Engine quits with rapid power movement

Post by YCCA »

I have a 2001 DA-20 with the IO-240. Apparently, last night while doing a touch and go the engine quit when the power was pushed up.. I have read of the issue before but the instructor said the engine quit another time on final when they advanced the power to correct for glideslope. Any ideas? This is obviously very concerning and mechanic is looking at it now. Any help will be greatly appreciated
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: Engine quits with rapid power movement

Post by RMarkSampson »

Never experienced engine out while advancing the throttle and/or on final. Definitely ground the aircraft until you can troubleshoot. The M-6 manual is fairly robust for troubleshooting - see chapter 8. But there are many variables that impact fuel, spark and air - thus the performance of the engine.
Induction system obstruction, Throttle or Mixture controls, Fuel quality/water, fuel pump - engine or electric; spark plug fouling, magneto points. All of these items are covered by operational checks throughout the Continental Engine M-6 book.

I get an occasional sputter when one of the injectors is passing a piece of whatever (check your fuel gascolator for sand/grit). Importantly, the fuel flow is highest when you go to full throttle so any grit that has gotten into the fuel system will like to get caught up in the flow and immediately head toward the injectors. So these sputters tend to happen on takeoff - which will get your attention because you are normally low and slow. For me the sputters are very brief and do not lead to an engine out. But when they happen I don't ignore them and start checking the gascolator for sediment, and spark plugs for excessive lead buildup that lead to fouling.

I recently replaced the engine-driven fuel pump, had low fuel pressure at idle but importantly I also noticed some fuel stains that showed that the pump was leaking. Engine wanted to quit on landing roll-out. New fuel pump solved my problems - idle fuel pressure is really not any higher but the engine does not want to cut out on landing anymore. So within that pump I am positive there was a gremlin - which was eradicated when I swapped out the pump. Good luck at finding your gremlin...
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

I think I am looking at an engine fuel pump replacement eventually but this one is only 250 hrs old. Mechanic had to adjust the low pressure output and now it runs like a charm. Fingers crossed. So frustrating because this is an overhaul and it should just run.. anyway, I’ll keep you guys updated and hope I’m the only thread on this topic.. Gotta admit, after I got over the, I have an airplane made in this century line, I’m starting to figure out that the Diamonds have as many quirks as the older cessnas and pipers... really frustrating
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I've always thought the electric fuel pump a bit quirky since the engine does not really like it to be on. Otherwise the rest of the engine performance quirks are Continental Engine, not Diamond. Same with the avionics - I'd have a hard time diming out Diamond for issues in the panel. Ultimately I feel that there are just too many good things about the DA-20 that surpass the occasional quirk - to include how stable that aircraft is in flight. IMO, aircraft ownership can be frustrating no matter what manufacturer or airframe you bought. Aviation parts are certainly not cheap, a product of volume and regulation. I'll just say the DA-20 for the most part has not drained the bank accounts of most DA-20 owners keeping their aircraft airworthy.