3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

The grass isn't always greener...

Post by Pascal »

I am still trying to figure out whether I will keep my DA20-C1 and commit $$$ on a major avionics upgrade or sell it and look for a more capable airplane (light ifr capable, autopilot, more comfy for my girlfriend).

So last Sunday I flew in a 1967 Mooney Ranger. Beautiful airplane, but not that much faster than the DA-20 and way too cramped in the shoulder room. Just to give you an idea, with the 3 main levers (power, prop and mixture), the rightmost one (mixture) is only about 12 inches from the passenger window. Which means the pilot had his elbow in front of my belly while adjusting the mixture.

So I pulled the seat back and brought my left arm behind his seat so that it would be out of the way. My armed ached for two days after that. My next airplane won't be a Mooney. And since I'm not rich enough to buy a DA40 by myself, I will probably look for a partershio with one or two other pilots to own one.

The DA20 with its 45 inches wide cockpit has really spoiled me.
soarer20
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N355NL
Airports: KAWO KUAO

Re: The grass isn't always greener...

Post by soarer20 »

The biggest limitation for me with my DA-20 is speed. Its just too slow. A few years ago before I bought my DA-20 there were several DA-40's for sale for under 75K. You might go fly a DA-40 and see if you like it.

I've priced out a Garmin G3X at around $15k installed. You still won't be able to fly IFR legally as there isn't any static wicks.

I might be interested in your DA-20. You can PM me.
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

I understand the wish to improve and get something better but aside from adsb out for improved safety and US airspace, why spend money upgrading other avionics in a da20? Isn’t ForeFlight all the upgrade you need? Am I missing something? I love the simplicity of my steam gauge ride, easy to maintain, and I love the power and safety of ForeFlight’s features with adsb. An upgrade to IFR would be good but impossible.
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Derek wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:06 am why spend money upgrading other avionics in a da20?
Sorry for the late reply.

Good point. On the Bendix King KX 125 radio, the backlighting does not work anymore, and with my eyesight I am having trouble reading the digits. I am planning to replace the unit with a more modern nav/com, or perhaps a GTN 650. Add a modern 1090ES transponder, and while we're at it dual G5s or equivalent. Something like that.

I think I could get used to a DA40 and it's more mundane handling characteristics. I'm simply not able to afford one at this time.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

I really like the DA20-C1. Do you actually see the 130 KTAS Diamond promise? This is only 10% less than a DA40 and more than most higher powered metal aircraft out there. Climb rate also great. And it is beau-ti-ful.

Here a possible upgrade at low-ish cost: 8K plus install

GNX375: GPS + COMM + ADSB transponder + Connext to your Ipad with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.

Keep existing steam gauges and use the iPad as a glass screen.

And if you have some CAD left: II heard that MT have a prop upgrade that gives several extra knots ....

Only serious issue is no AP. IFR also not possible, but since you are in Canada, I suppose there won't be a lot of IFR you can do legally in a non-deiced DA40, right?
Derek
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYTZ

Post by Derek »

I see 132knots cruise in smooth air, no wheelpants. In turbulence you’re required to slow to 120 or less. I generally cruise around 125 because it feels like less stress all around.

My favourite upgrade is the MT prop. What a superior prop.

Biggest downside (or saving grace?) is the plane is legally limited to fair weather flying: no heated pitot and no lightning protection. It’s a fun plane to fly so I don’t mind the no AP. Mostly it gets me from my summer home to the city - a great way to start and end the workday!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I wish there were an FAA certification for "light IFR," which would be no freezing-level flying and no flying within 15nm of lightning activity. My first decade of flying it was all about getting up and down through a 200ft layer of marine clouds and the DA20 would have been perfect.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I think you should take a look at the Sling TSi..Its an Experimental but looks very capable and has a good record so far. May be even an RV10?..
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

So my DA-20 can fly an IFR plan in VMC. Would I intentionally fly it into IFR - never. Can it get you down in a pinch - absolutely. The grass remains green for me. Aviation maintenance is the one thing that will make/break a greener pasture. In this light, the DA-20 is simply less expensive to operate and maintain - which for me outweigh the obvious limitations of the DA-20. She is the Toyota Prius of the sky....