3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

MT Prop: How much rain is too much?

Post by Pascal »

Last week-end while flying over mountainous terrain, I flew though misty rain which did not affect visibility.

The MT propeller has a metallic leading edge and thus is not affected/damaged as much by rain as the Sensenich propeller that came with the airplane.

That was one of the reasons why I installed the MT propeller, in addition to the reduction in vibration and the additional speed it provides.

So my question to you is how much rain is too much? Or, put another way, if you see water droplets aerodynamically running on the canopy, is that already too much humidity for the propeller in your opinion?

Thank you,

Pascal
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: MT Prop: How much rain is too much?

Post by CFIDave »

MT propellers are designed to be flown in the rain. The wood core is surrounded by carbon fiber or fiberglass sheathing that's intended to keep moisture out of the core. And as you noted, it also has a metal leading edge.

I've flown my DA62 (with a pair of MT props) through rain so heavy that it peeled some of the vinyl decals off the side of the fuselage -- the heavy precipitation showed up red on weather radar (on a cool day where there was no convective activity, so it was smooth air safe to fly through). And yet there was no damage or erosion to the MT props.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Dave, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. As always, very informative!
RMarkSampson
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Post by RMarkSampson »

I dropped of the planet for a bit - will try and get back into the DA20 Forum community.

My DA-20 has an MT prop. Rehab of the prop was part of my last annual effort. The rain would take all the paint off - mostly at the tips. Last annual my IA said "it needs real love" - so it went off to Deland FL to MT Prop for a full factory rehab. About 2K for the rehab - about 1/2 the price of a new prop. It came back absolutely looking impeccable. While I have not flown it through a bunch of rain, it is certainly not as vulnerable to the rain as a non-MT rehab. Never fun to drop 2K on fix, but in hindsight I am very happy that I bit that bullet.