3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charlie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N68C
Airports: KLZU

Re: ACK 406 MHz ELT Update

Post by Cschobel »

mosierjr wrote:It took me about 20 min to install the ELT and antenna during my owner assist annual. To remove the radios from the Garmin rack, unbolt the rack, hook up the GPS output and a fused power lead, reinstall and tie everything down, took the avionic tech about 4 hours.
Did you run the power to a new circuit breaker?
mosierjr
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: J.R.
Aircraft Registration: N525ST
Airports: 5TX0

Post by mosierjr »

No, The ELT draws an extremely small amount of power as it never powers the transmitter. Just a small memory chip for the ELT to record its last known location prior to losing the GPS feed in a crash. The avionics shop put in an inline fuse from the main feed to the GPS2/Comm2 in the avionics tray.
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Hello all,

I would like to enquire if there is anyone here in Europe (or ideally the UK) who has installed an E-04 in place of the ACK-01?
If so, would they recommend the avionics shop that did the work?

Thanks
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ThomasD »

Hi Mosierjr,

I am looking to get the ACK E-04 put in, but my avionics shop said that they telephoned ACK who told them to run a new power line from the front via a new CB (seats out, dash cover off, lots of time..) - but what your avionics shop did sounds much more sensible.
Do you know if your avionics shop asked ACK if this was OK / or do you have any other info?

Thanks

Tom
mosierjr
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: J.R.
Aircraft Registration: N525ST
Airports: 5TX0

Post by mosierjr »

Hi ThomasD, Sorry, no other info, it's just how we chose to install it. It's been in and working perfectly for a year now. ----------- mosierjr
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ThomasD »

Thanks for the info, I will encourage my avionics guy to be ok with this

Thomas
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

I need to upgrade my ACK-01 to the -04. While going through the ordering process at aircraftspruce.com, they ask
What is the preferred ELT Programming?: ELT Serial # or 24 bit serial of aircraft
Which one should I pick? How can I find out the 24 bit serial in case that is the appropriate choice?

Any ideas?
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Kai wrote:I need to upgrade my ACK-01 to the -04. While going through the ordering process at aircraftspruce.com, they ask
What is the preferred ELT Programming?: ELT Serial # or 24 bit serial of aircraft
Which one should I pick? How can I find out the 24 bit serial in case that is the appropriate choice?
I would assume this is the same 24-bit serial number used for mode S transponder encoding. It's possible to look it up for N-registered aircraft in the FAA registry.

Once upon a time I figured out how the mapping works, but I don't have my notes any longer and I don't think it's relevant to non N-registered aircraft. If I recall correctly, the first few bits indicate the country code and the rest of the encoding space is left up to the individual countries. Perhaps it's possible to see how the transponder is configured and copy it from there.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Here's a new update to this very old thread. My E-01 was replaced with an E-04 in 2012. I intentionally had them not hook up the GPS, though that's an aside from the point herein:

I just discovered that the shop didn't perform a completely proper installation. The ELT itself works fine. I had an inadvertent activation a couple of months ago and got to speak with an understanding Air Force Officer. The little red light didn't light up but I finally had detected the feeble sonic alert and shut it off with the reset button. I figured I'd change the batteries in the sonic alert and the remote control unit. (NOTE: There are a total of 3 batteries with the E-04 that need periodic replacement, and 2 with the E-01).

The notation in the aircraft log states these 2 particular batteries were good until 2022, but I decided to change them anyway. I discovered that the control unit from the original E-01 had been retained, rather than replaced with the one that should have come with the E-04. They have different part numbers, though they appear identical and are physically interchangeable with respect to mounting, etc. The logbook doesn't actually say they replaced the unit, just that the switch placard was changed.

1. The 3 Volt Duracell CR2 battery in the sonic alert had an expiration date printed on the battery of 2014. Duracells typically have a date something like 8-10 years after manufacture. I can't reconcile this 2014 date with the 2012 installation. The E-01 does not have this sonic alert so it's not like it was left over. The sonic alert did function, though, and this battery still shows 3 V, so it was still good.

2. The 6 Volt Duracell 28L is a different matter. This battery does not have an expiration date printed on the battery itself. But as I said, the light in the remote didn't function and I found this battery is down to 3 V - effectively dead. I conclude the shop likely did not change this battery and it's from the original E-01 installation. It is therefore more than 18 years old.

3. Having replaced both batteries in this original control unit I ran the self-test function. This function appears to work, at least the light flashed, the 121.5 sweeps were audible on the radio up and the alert sounded the code sequence for everything being OK. It's interesting to note that the E-01 does not have this self-test function, yet it seems to work as would the newer part. I have an inquiry into ACK technologies to find out whether it's OK to continue this way or should I take the trouble to acquire the correct part number.

BTW, the sonic alert is inherently pretty feeble. In addition, being behind the instrument panel doesn't help. I'm pondering what to do about the mounting location.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The aural alert would be difficult to hear in most flying situations. One of the reasons that I usually have one of my radios tuned to 121.5. I do record the battery replacement dates in my maintenance reminder spreadsheet, and replace them when due. I just did the E-04 main battery and the sonic alert battery. The RCPI battery is due in a couple of years.

I installed the E-04 under my A&P's supervision in December, 2011. I did connect it to my GPS, and that provided an exercise in frustration. Many hours of troubleshooting and emails to ACK eventually disclosed that there was a fault in my GPS unit (KLN-94) which prevented the data stream from being transmitted to the ELT. After replacement of an IC in the GPS, all worked well.