5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Starter problem - AOG

Post by Antoine »

Robin sorry to hear about that. For whatever it is worth, keep in mind that it is possible to hand start our engines if stuck in a remote place. I think we should learn how to do it and how to minimize the related risks (don't do it on slippery ground etc...)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Can we hand prop our MT props?
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robin
Aircraft Registration: VH-JRZ
Airports: YMPC POINT COOK, MELBOURNE

Post by Robin »

Hey Antoine

The last time I did a hand start I had fentanyl for the first time. It numbed the pain brilliantly, I dislocated my shoulder, some 4 years later my shoulder aches some times.

I worked doing scenic flights in a Tiger Moth, and hand starts were easy, but for some reason my shoulder dislocated.

Cheers

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Robin »

Just heard from the maintenance engineer.

No power from the battery to the starter motor, so it looks like it is a relay issue in the solenoid.

Will fly an electrics engineer in tomorrow.

Such is flying

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Robin
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Robin »

An update

It was the starter motor after all. Replaced, and then I traveled up to fly my plane home. It started beautifully.

Things I learnt - from various sources

The start motor can die very suddenly.
With a suspect battery you would expect the Garmin 1000 screens to be faded on switching the battery on. Then the prop would usually turn over slowly.
Check all the leads.

What ever is the most expensive solution is, that will solve your problem and then double the cost anyway just to be sure!

Safe Flying

Robin
Robin
DA-40XLS 40.1078
VH-JRZ, Australia
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

I have decided to replace my 12 year 1,400 hour old starter to avoid getting stranded. What are the options and the advantages of the different available starters? Cost is not an issue.
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Had to toss out my starter story from 2 years ago...

Flew over to Roanoke Island (just South of First Flight). Plan was to stretch my legs, use the facilities, get GoPros mounted up, then go film some coastal flying in hopes of making a new video.

So, after about 30 minutes on the ground, I'm all set, turn the key and "click". Huh? Try again, "click". Uhhmmm. Shut everything down and restart, turn the key and "click". Ugh!

Went into the FBO and told them of my dilemma, they called a mechanic over from a nearby hanger. I meet him at the plane, power up and "click". So...

He wiggles the prop a bit, apparently (me not being mechanically inclined) sometimes a bad contact spot or flat spot or something can occur, rotating the prop just a bit can sometimes get it to work. Nothing but more clicks. Grrrrrr.

So ok, we tow it back over to his hanger and pull the cowling. Oooops...tourists have arrived...he has to go do a bi-plane flight. Jumps in his Waco with some girls and off he goes...WoW!

During the next hour in the lobby, I'm stressed, calling my wife..."probably stuck on this island for a day or two until we can get a new starter". Calling Dillion's aviation to see if they can fly me over a starter...etc...

Mechanic-Bi-plane pilot returns...

Ok we need to test some leads...current into the starter or something. As he stands at the side of the cowling (between the prop blades and the wings) he instructs me to turn the key....

VVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

"SHUT IT DOWN SHUT IT DOWN!!!!"

Ok...I almost just killed a man.

Jesus.

Ok now what? Plan is to pull it out of the hanger, if it starts, make a beeline for home so I don't get stuck on the NC outer banks. I write a check for his time and we pull it out.

Moment of truth.....VROOOOM! YES!!!!

Give a wave and off I go...wait I didn't check the weather...ummm those storms are really close,where the #$%# did they come from???

Request Pop up IFR clearance and bee-line West toward home, squeezed between two Restricted areas, growing cumulous ahead, request deviation, denied for the next 5 miles, into the clouds. Probably only moderate turbulence, but most I have experienced to this day. Again request deviation, denied until clear of restricted. Popped out a minute or two later and have the rest of my life to mull over the bad decisions made that day.

In summary, with the starter clicks, there seemed to be two possibilities going forward. The moving the prop around apparently is a real thing and sometimes can get your starter to re-engage in a pinch. Apparently, in my case, allowing everything to cool down (while the mechanic was on the bi-plane ride) allowed a last gasp for the starter to function. It worked for a few more weeks, before completely dying at my home field.

The big lesson though is rushing...how many articles have I read about people pushing hard because they had to be somewhere by a certain time, leading to disaster? Not wanting to be stranded on the outer banks, when the starter engaged, I was out of there with NO THOUGHT to flight planning (it had been beautiful VFR earlier in the morning). So distracted, changing weather never crossed my mind.

Old thread, didn't mean to thread creep, just a reminder to be safe, both in the air and with your mechanic! ;)
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Wise words Eric. BTW: My starter failure followed the same path. Thankfully, they usually give ample warning of their impending total failure.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Eric:

Good advice. We are preparing for our annual Spring Break Flying Trip. Definitely going to do some more contingency planning thanks to your thoughtful post.

Steve
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

I did some research and found that the Sky-Tec 149-24LS is an approved starter for the DA40. Does anybody have experience swapping the stock part for one of these? If so how do they compare?