LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KFCI

Re: Hairline crack at wing root

Post by LTek1 »

Well, I remember this thread and was hoping for happy thoughts, but mine are totally different: I just discovered a set of cracks on the leading edge of my pilot's side wing root.

I spent a few hours the other day touching up paint and cleaning the leading edges from bugs; I feel fairly certain I would have noticed these cracks. The plane also just went through an appraisal and a pre-buy inspection in the last month, so I'm pretty convinced they are new.

May last flights have been very gentle; my wife loves to fly, but doesn't like to play. My landings have been greasers. But I did, just before preflight, have a passenger step suddently up on to the wing with me, today. Combined weight of about 420lbs.

My mechanic came and looked at it briefly, poked at hit, pressed hard with his thumbs. We can't feel any weakness or give in the area (not that I'd expect to), but I really don't like the way the cracks sortof radiate, and you can see a slight rippling or bulging effect around the damaged area. He thinks it's fine, but there was nothing scientific about the examination.

Have a look at the attached photo, and tell me what you think. I guess I have to decide if I want them to sand down the paint to inspect the composite underneath? Send pictures to the factory for their impression?
Attachments
Wing Root Cracks - leading edge
Wing Root Cracks - leading edge
Last edited by LTek1 on Mon May 19, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Lee:

Those cracks are in a different location than the ones I have (and have seen on other airframes). The ones on my airplane are at the junction of the fuselage wall and the wing root fairing trailing edge. Yours, on the leading edge, are not an area that I would expect to flex. The way the cracks curve around almost looks like you had a blunt object hit there. I'm sure you would have noticed a bird strike, but any chance something hit it in the hangar or on the ramp? I would definitely do the coin-tap test in that area and send some photos to Diamond to see what they say. Keep us informed...

Steve
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by LTek1 »

Steve wrote:The way the cracks curve around almost looks like you had a blunt object hit there. I'm sure you would have noticed a bird strike, but any chance something hit it in the hangar or on the ramp? I would definitely do the coin-tap test in that area and send some photos to Diamond to see what they say.
My plane currently lives in the corporate hanger at my airport while I await a T to open up, so other people pull her in and out for me. If it were the wing tip or the tail, I'd ask them about it. But right there at the root? That'd be a heck of a collision to make inadvertently! I haven't climbed in and out of the plane with a scuba tank or anything hanging from my belt, lately, so I have no idea what it could have been. I sure as heck haven't been pulling any 10g turns.

Penny test and pics to Diamond it is. Thanks!
Lee Dickinson
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Purely cosmetic. sand paint and repeat later.
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Lance Murray wrote:I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Purely cosmetic. sand paint and repeat later.
+1, cracks in gel coat. relax.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by LTek1 »

Thanks guys!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Lee Dickinson
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

I've seen these types of trailing edge wing root cracks on DA-40s on the rental lines. I think passengers tend to walk off to the rear. That trailing edge is so damn thin... it doesn't stand a chance. I'm pretty sure it's only cosmetic because it's the wing spar that holds the wing on, not the skin :-P
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Hello,
Yesterday I also noticed paint cracks for the first time on the root of left wing, but parallel to the fuselage. Has anybody already seen such hairline cracks ? I guess they are also cosmetic.
Attachments
IMG_8894.jpg
IMG_8893.jpg
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Jean wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:44 pm Hello,
Yesterday I also noticed paint cracks for the first time on the root of left wing, but parallel to the fuselage. Has anybody already seen such hairline cracks ? I guess they are also cosmetic.
Yep, Been there for years.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Post by Wall-e »

I've had those hairline cracks at the wing root for many years. Not been a problem. However, during my current annual they found that a large area aft of the spar & under the wing walk that flexes slightly when pressure is applied. Diamond wants $2000 just for the drawings of how to fix it. Any of you have experience with this?
Wally
CFII