5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Low fuel pressure... again

Post by Rick »

Retz wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:11 pm Quick question, you guys with the G1000 keep referring to checking the Fuel pressure gauge. I have an 06 with a G1000 and it doesn't display fuel pressure (just flow). Is there a way to enable display of fuel pressure on the G1000....perhaps in the mx page?

Thanks
Unfortunately, it's an install-time option. You would need to go to your Garmin shop and have them enable it, using the same version of the G1000 software that is currently installed, or upgrade you to the latest if you're not already there! Even though I think Diamond says it's not an approved option for the DA40 (or something like that), all the DA40's I've ever seen, including mine, have it enabled, and I find it provides useful information.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Having intermittent fuel pressure alarms on a 2004 DA40 with G1000. I don't have the gauge enabled, but looking at the data it occasionally goes low and sometimes goes to zero for a short period with no relation to fuel flow. My mechanic doesn't believe it is the connection. From a reputable Diamond shop in Canada, I got a quote for $3442.11 !!! That must be some serious mark-up. I put in for a quote at Aviation Parts Online (never tried before) and I will call Premier too.

Kulite Semiconductor Products Inc
IPT-20RT1-1000-100G

Ideas?
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

When I had intermittent fuel pressure problems, mine turned out to be inside the connector to the fuel pressure sender:

Essentially, the soldering inside the connector _to_ the fuel pressure sender had come undone. The contact would sometimes touch, and at other times be disconnected. The G1000 lost connection with the sensor and indicated zero pressure for a second until it wiggled back.

Cost for the connector was $33. Of course by the time this was figured out, I'd spent nearly $2,000 troubleshooting this.
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

I had the same problem. Solved it simply by cleaning the connector with contact cleaning spray.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

One other thing to test — the fuel pressure transducer is exactly the same part as the oil pressure transducer. It is possible to switch them and see if the problem follows the sensor or the station. Obviously make sure the sensor is cleaned thoroughly, and that you are ok with flying with the potential to get bad oil pressure readings.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

So we pulled the fuel pressure transducer and flushed out the line with fuel and blew out the fuel captured behind the orifice of the transducer and buttoned it back up. About 7-8 flights now with no fuel pressure faults. Looking at the data, there is a clear before/after with pressure formerly very noisy and dropping for no apparent reason. The fuel pressure trace used to wander up and down, rarely on/off so I am thinking the contacts are less likely. The trace is very smooth now. The fuel that came out of the system looked clean with no debris noted so not sure what happened exactly.
Klaus_DA40
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Klaus
Aircraft Registration: DERPM
Airports: EDKB

Post by Klaus_DA40 »

Dear all I need your help. We have problem with the fuel pressure indicator. In our DA 40 build 2001. The pressure is toggling between 0 and max. The assumption is that the fuel pressure indicator or the transductor is faulty.
My first question is. Is the fuel pressure sensor than the oil pressure? It seems that the part numbers are the same. (The sensors are from Bosch)
My second question is about the transductor. The transductor from Vision. Unfortunately, I can’t get the part, type or serial number. Any Idea where I can the numbers from and where can buy the device?

All the tank you in advance for your help
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Klaus_DA40 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:22 pm Dear all I need your help. We have problem with the fuel pressure indicator. In our DA 40 build 2001. The pressure is toggling between 0 and max. The assumption is that the fuel pressure indicator or the transductor is faulty.
My first question is. Is the fuel pressure sensor than the oil pressure? It seems that the part numbers are the same. (The sensors are from Bosch)
My second question is about the transductor. The transductor from Vision. Unfortunately, I can’t get the part, type or serial number. Any Idea where I can the numbers from and where can buy the device?

All the tank you in advance for your help
I would first try checking the connections. But to answer the second question, Vision Microsystems is now defunct. The business was acquired by JPI. Contact JPI for information/availability of the transducer. It's likely that it's a pretty standard part.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Klaus:

Having a 2001 model (like mine), your transducers (sensors) are pretty old. I noticed in a previous post that you also were having trouble with your manifold pressure readings as well. I have had a fuel pressure transducer fail, although not in the same manner that yours is exhibiting. I doubt that the failure is in the processing unit or display unit.

I have not seen Bosch transducers on the VM-1000. Mine are from Honeywell Mediamate: Vision Microsystems P/N: 3010017, Honeywell P/N: 9306110 for the fuel pressure transducer. The oil pressure and fuel pressure transducers are different P/Ns on my system. Both are obsolete now, and finding one is very difficult. JP Instruments took over support for Vision Microsystems a while ago. You could try contacting Scott Waldman at JPI:

jpiscott@yahoo.com

with the specifics of your transducer and he might be able to help. There are some newer transducers which may work for you, but you will have to get your A&P (or whatever they call them in Germany) to sign off on the substitution. If you can post some photos of your transducer, I might be able to steer you in the right direction to source a new one, since I spent a lot of effort on this for my airplane.
Klaus_DA40
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Klaus
Aircraft Registration: DERPM
Airports: EDKB

Post by Klaus_DA40 »

Thank you for the answer. I will check he type transductor tomorrow. all the best Klaus