4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Max
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: N727FP
Airports: KPWK

Re: Low fuel pressure... again

Post by Moonshine »

I have it even better. There's a logbook entry saying that mine has been replaced due to faulty indications, but:
- I don't have fuel pressure indication on my G1000
- data log field for fuel pressure is empty.

I guess I'll try to find it next time the cowlings are off :D
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Moonshine wrote:I have it even better. There's a logbook entry saying that mine has been replaced due to faulty indications, but:
- I don't have fuel pressure indication on my G1000
- data log field for fuel pressure is empty.

I guess I'll try to find it next time the cowlings are off :D
Max, it is an option when the G1000 software is installed/updated. The installer must select the option to install the fuel pressure guage on the engine page, otherwise you don't get it. Although I am a bit suprised that you don't get the fuel pres value in the log file because of that, but maybe Diamond/Garmin set it up that way. Do you have a column in the data file for fuel pressure and it's just always zero, or is the column not there at all?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Moonshine »

Thanks for suggestion, Rick. I'll check the raw data logs tomorrow.
So far I just know that nothing shows up in the reports on the fuel pressure.
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Moonshine »

Checked the raw data - no fuel pressure field at all
Rechecked the logbook - new fuel pressure sender installed few hundred hours ago. I need to find a better place to do my G1000 updates.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

FYI. I believe that this is the Fuel Pressure Transducer that we need. I don't know what Diamond charges but I bet it is more.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... sensor.php

I ordered one. I will know in a few days if it is the same.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

The above is the correct part for the NON G1000 aircraft. The Diamond parts catalog is wrong for the G-1000 aircraft.

Turns out that I switched the two transducers and the problem seems to have cured itself. Who knows why.
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Moonshine »

Ok, looked into it - interesting findings. The pressure sender is installed just up the line from the fuel flow.. but the wires have been cut and bundled up above the aircraft battery. Too much other crap to deal with this now, will have to look at it at the annual - will probably take the airplane back to Premier, who maintained it all its life, since I will never take anything to Daytona Aircraft Services. Not since Jim's no longer there.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Not sure of the legality of this modification but I am not sure why we care about fuel pressure. If we have fuel flow isn't that enough? If fuel pressure is zero and the engine is operating then we have faulty indication. If the engine is running we have fuel pressure and that is good enough for me.
Moonshine wrote:Ok, looked into it - interesting findings. The pressure sender is installed just up the line from the fuel flow.. but the wires have been cut and bundled up above the aircraft battery. Too much other crap to deal with this now, will have to look at it at the annual - will probably take the airplane back to Premier, who maintained it all its life, since I will never take anything to Daytona Aircraft Services. Not since Jim's no longer there.
Moonshine
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Moonshine »

I can think of a couple of reasons
- high fuel flow and low pressure - possible leak. In theory. In my installation the fuel flow is right next to the carb, so there would not be a high ff
- low or erratic reading - possible fuel pump issues/vapor issues

But the main point - the damn thing is installed but disconnected
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Hi all,

My DA40 (G1000) just started having fuel pressure alerts - fairly random, lasting a few seconds to a bit longer, pressure indication goes to zero and get a red alert on the G1000; then bounces back to normal and fluctuates.
Engine continued fine (no hiccups) and fuel flow steady, so I am pretty sure it is either the transducer or the wiring from the transducer to the G1000.
(Flown more than 300 hours in the aircraft and no previous problems.)

If anyone is able to give any info relevant to the questions below I would be really grateful:

(1) I saw that Lance said that the part number
JPI EDM FUEL PRESS INJECT SENSOR 1/8NPT 5-32PSI TSO 10-03922

was "for the non G1000 and that the Diamond IPC was incorrect" - so does anyone know the correct part number for the G1000 on the IO-360-M1A ? (And where to get the transducer.)

(2) Also, in the past I have found issues with the crimping of connectors being poor quality, so will look at the wiring from the transducer as well - not looked yet but has anyone looked at this and is it obvious where the wiring for the fuel pressure transducer goes and where it routes - I guess it goes into the GEA 71 Engine Airframe Unit [in the rack in the rear], probably with a few connectors in between.

~~~

And just had to replace an EGT sensor as well [$210 + labour] - that time it was clearly the bi-metallic strip from the sensor that had broken (wiggling it caused the EGT value to jump up and down), but could not repair the bi-metallic strip as this is an integral part of the sensor. The bi-metallic strip broke as it was bent double a few times in too tight a radius with the cable ties - so poor in the original factory installation.