4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Re: Securing a portable oxygen bottle

Post by BRS »

I used to install mine like Jean did (I have the same system). But then I started putting it in the flat baggage space behind the rear seats with the hose routed like what Jean has. My plane, as you all know, has been tied up with the SC STC so I've not had time to install my latest.

I've purchased a remote pneumatic on/off switch and a remote gage from MH and plan to keep the installation in the baggage space where I now have it but will soon have a gauge I can read as well as a way turn on the system. There is room back there for two bottles in needed. It's rather difficult to climb back and turn it on after taking off. No, I've not tried.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Marc_CYBW
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marc
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FCOK
Airports: CYBW

Re: Securing a portable oxygen bottle - photos

Post by Marc_CYBW »

I have attached a photo of the foam block and how I installed the Aerox bottle and Halon Extinguisher.
Attachments
Foam Block_edited-1.jpg
Foam Block_edited-1.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
O2 and Halon Set-up_edited-1.jpg
O2 and Halon Set-up_edited-1.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Post by hkavasch »

Hi Jean, saw your great O2D2 installation in your DA40. Just bought the same unit and want to install it into our DA42. I am trying very hard to find these plastic clips that you used to secure the oxygen lines (the white ones).. but cant find any.. could you give me a hint how they are called (maybe even a brand..)
Could you send me some additional pictures of your installation (e.g. how much dual lock tape have you used on the unit backside, did you put it also on the battery cover, where did you move the oxygen line..)

Thx

Hans
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

Hans,
Thank's for the rating !
I used adhesive base for self locking straps (Colson straps). I bought them in a general electricity store in Liège (5€ for 25 pc). You should find that easily.
I attached the O2D2 unit with 3M VELCRO adhesives that came with the kit.
I will post more pictures as soon as I can.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by hkavasch »

We are using an O2D2 portable system in our DA42.... a good and cheap solution!
But so far we were not able to find a good way to install the O2 bottle. We have tried the soluions sugested in this post ( Behind the seat in a bag OR strapped to the safety harness in the back).. Still the bottle was either not fully fixed (dangling around) or no longer reachable for the pilot... We are looking for an installation that
- 100% secures the bottle (or bottle if we take two)
- is reachable to the pilot to open the valve
- allows the pilot to read the pressure in the bottle

any thoughts?
- any way to put it between the passengers?
- Is there a better way than straps to tie it the the co pilot seat?
- How about the front bagagge room where the factory O2 bottle would sit.. can it be strapped in there and use a thick pipe to bring the pressure into the cockpit.. then install the pressure valve + gauge on the pipe in the cockpit?
- between co-pilot and pilot seat?
Hans Kavasch
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Hans:
If you want the ultimate O2 bottle for a DA42 you can always retrofit Diamond's built-in installation with the 50 cu ft tank located in the nose between the two nose baggage compartments. It's kind of expensive though. ;)

We originally bought the portable Mountain High O2D2 system for our DA40, but when we got our DA42 we ordered Diamond's optional built-in system, which comes equipped with Aerox Oxysaver cannulas.

However the O2D2 pulse-demand system is better since it consumes far less O2 and more importantly, automatically adjusts the O2 level as you climb and descend. And we really like the newer O2D2 "boom microphone" cannulas that attach to your headset and easily swing in/out of the way.

So we found a $250 pressure adapter from Mountain High that lets you plug an O2D2 box into any of the Diamond built-in cabin O2 outlets. My daughter and I flew our DA42 all the way across the US and back at 16,000/17,000 feet with this setup without having to refill the plane's built-in O2 tank.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by hkavasch »

Hi Dave,

a built in O2 bottle is for sure a nice solution.. A friend and me flew with a turbo normalized Bonanza from EU to US and back this year.. often on FL200 and above.. had a built in tank + O2D2.. only had to refill once... the perfect solution

however.. the built in solution is not an option for our DA42... Cost to install are high... Costs to fill are extremly high.. I don't need more weight in front.. and regular inspections are also costly..

the mobile solution works fine for us.. I just need to find a better place to fix the bottle while still keeping it in reach
Hans Kavasch
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Hans,
I will repeat some of my previous comments since new members may be looking at this. I have used the "strap bottle to passenger seat" since I got the mountain high system over 7 years ago. I have had no problems accessing the valve to turn it on and off, and using the straps and bag supplied by mountain high it really is secure. While I can't see the dial, it really hasn't been a problem for us in all this time.

I had a built in system in my C310, and I have sworn that I will never go to a built in system again. The major problems with the built in system are the costs. The cost to refill the tank at an FBO are inordinately high. But beyond that, the cost for removing the system and sending it out for the 5 year inspection (required by the DOT in the US) was far more than it would cost to buy a whole new portable system from mountain high. Plus, if I really need to worry about W&B, removing the oxygen cylinder is not an option with a built in system, but takes less than a minute to do with the portable.

If you do find a better way to secure the portable tank, please let us all know.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I hate the built in disadvantages. I want a perfect installation, but because of the FBOs hitting people with additional costs to fill the built-in, I'll be on bottles until I am pressurized.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)