2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Simon
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43SE
Airports: KCDW

Re: LED Landing / Taxi lights for the DA40

Post by Si_Zim »

Hi all

Our landing light is getting really dim and we want to swap out for an LED in the upcoming annual. I've been reviewing this (lengthy!) thread but am still confused.
1. I see DA40 mentioned for Parmetheus STC (http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/STC/P ... 2212AK.pdf) but that is odd because the Parmetheus is the wrong shape.
2. I see OSB40-077 for LED landing lights - do you know what make/model this covers? Local shop thought it was 71125 and also require mounting bracket changes - not just simple swapout.
3. I see lots of talk of Whelen 0771685 installs done under 337s. Is this still the only way to get it done - or have there been further developments in formalizing it? If not - can someone PM me their 337 so my shop can use it?

Thanks!

Si
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Si-

You have summarized the situation correctly.

Option 1 the bulbs won't fit without serious modification / fabrication of the existing brackets.

Option 2 is simple. The LEDs fit into the existing brackets. Add the correct plug to the LED wires and plug into the existing DA40 wiring and your done. It took me less than 1 hour to install. (PM me and I will send you the 337.) However, you should know that you won't be blown away by the LEDs. They appear brighter because of the temperature of the LED light, but in fact they aren't much brighter. It's ok for me since 99.9% of my flying is in daylight and they appear brighter and therefore have enhanced recognition. Also, they should last a very long time. I leave them on all the time.

I have to assume Option 3 uses different p/n (and brighter) LEDs but cost more than option 2. It would be interesting to know how much Diamond charges for the the option 3 kit.

Tim
Si_Zim
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Si_Zim »

Hi Tim

Thanks for the response.
Ok - completely ignoring option 1 then

I think we may may have option 2 and 3 the wrong way around..
Option 2 is the LED Diamond kit under OSB40-077. Apparently this does need mounting brackets. I understand the bulbs are 71125, running $280-$350ea and then $450ish for the brackets. Which adds up to a lot before labor. Not much less than putting in XEvision XV-19 for the landing light unless I am missing something?
Option 3 is people doing Whelen 0771685 installs under 337's. Not sure if this is a direct replacement or if brackets are needed.
Option 4: One other option I have seen mentioned in the forum is using AeroLEDs SunBeams. Again I presume 337 is needed and not sure if anyone has actually done this
Thx
Si_Zim
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Si_Zim »

More on the option 3 - seems that this 71685 LED has 30 degree spread so really only for good taxi light usage. Although it is a lot cheaper than any other option ($180ish), easier to fit and can be left on pretty much indefinitely for greater visibility to others.

The 71125 for option 2 (needing brackets) comes in 10, 20 and 30 degree spread. Presumably you fit 10 for landing and 30 for taxi.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Si_Zim wrote:Option 4: One other option I have seen mentioned in the forum is using AeroLEDs SunBeams. Again I presume 337 is needed and not sure if anyone has actually done this
Hi Si -

IMO XeVision lights are still the gold standard, but LEDs continue to advance rapidly.

I submitted a 337 for the AeroLED Sunbeams with thorough documentation including A/B test results vs. the factory HIDs. The Sunbeams are clearly much brighter than "Option 2" and IMO comparable to the factory HIDs (but added optional integrated recognition flash). See this thread, halfway down the page: link. Unfortunately, the local FSDO ACO ("engineering") rejected the 337 since the Sunbeam lights were "not TSO'd." Never mind that there is no TSO in existence for landing lights. :roll:

Since then AeroLEDs has successfully gotten PMA approval for the Sunbeam lights on Air Tractors. Presumably this would make it relatively straightforward to get a 337 approval for Sunbeam lights on a DA40 from a reasonable FSDO. Unfortunately my local office is not reasonable.

Here is the Sunbeam PMA documentation:
  • Approval letter - link
  • Supplement - link
Chris
Si_Zim
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Si_Zim »

Thanks Chris

Alas it looks like the AeroLEDs Sunbeams are not available.
Think I may end up looking at a XEVision HID for landing light and possibly a 71685 for taxi light to keep costs down
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

I recently complied with Diamond OSB 40-077 for installation of LED Landing / Taxi lights replacing the Whelen P/N 71685 LEDs that I installed via a 337.

Complying with OSB 40-077 brings the Landing / Taxi lights up to the current production standard.

The amount of light the new LED's put out is impressive...significantly more than either the stock incandescents or the 71685 LEDs. I'm extremely pleased with the upgrade. I can finally see the runway at night!!

Total cost was ~$1000 ($~525 for the parts from Diamond and ~$475 for the LED lights from Whelen)

Installation involved removing and replacing the existing baseplate and landing and taxi light brackets and Whelen LED lights. See WI-OSB 40-077 for instructions and parts list. I did the work myself with an IA signoff, total time was approximately 3 hrs. Note that if you decide to comply with the SB, be sure to order 6 DIN 933-M4x12-A2 screws and 6 NL4SP Nordlock washers instead of the 4 ea. as noted in the work instruction. It will be obvious why when you install the light brackets into the baseplate. Also consider ordering new silicone washers for the plexiglass light cover.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Does anyone have a comparison between the factory HIDs (from the '06, '07 era models) and the new LEDs? I would think that by now the LEDs would provide much more light, but I'm looking for some validation. I've got a Stanley flashlight with a single LED (a CREE T6, I think) in it that is significantly brighter than my HID landing light - I would love to have one of those mounted in my wing! I'm wondering how the new LEDs compare...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Rick wrote:Does anyone have a comparison between the factory HIDs (from the '06, '07 era models) and the new LEDs? I would think that by now the LEDs would provide much more light, but I'm looking for some validation. I've got a Stanley flashlight with a single LED (a CREE T6, I think) in it that is significantly brighter than my HID landing light - I would love to have one of those mounted in my wing! I'm wondering how the new LEDs compare...
Good question Rick.

The historical science says that HIDs win, other things being equal, but real world comparisons are almost impossible to standardize and LEDs keep getting better. As evidence of a lack of good comparisons (which would have to control for sq. ft. of illumination, uniformity of illumination within the area, and distance; then there is the whole color temperature thing and the sensitivty of the human eye, etc.), I scanned a half dozen articles and found a lot of mushy language that was mostly supporting a bias one way or another. My guess is that one could be "brighter" at 30 feet distance and 120 sq. ft. area and another would be brighter at 40 feet and 90 sq. ft. and so on.

The only "practical" test I have is with my 9,000 lumen 7-CREE flashlight powered by four 18650 Li-ion cells. Subjectively, the flashlight beam looks a lot brighter but when I stuck it out the window on a landing for a "sort-of test," the flashlight beam could not be seen inside of the HID beam.

Separately, I like the fact that LEDs keep getting better. On the other hand, their failure mode tends to be instantaneous while that is less likely for an HID.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Rick wrote:Does anyone have a comparison between the factory HIDs (from the '06, '07 era models) and the new LEDs?
<snip>
I'm wondering how the new LEDs compare...
Hi Rick -

As posted in a previous thread (link), here is a comparison between AeroLEDs Sunbeam LEDs and 2008-vintage DA40 OEM HIDs. The Sunbeams were mounted in a fixture directly above the HIDs.

Chris