3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nir
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KPAO

G1000 - how to update DB

Post by Nirbm01 »

Hello,

I have a newbie question,

How do you register to get updates for the G1000? flight charts / Nav Data / etc.

Also is there any way to add Safe Taxi - if it is not installed yet?

Thanks!
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Re: G1000 - how to update DB

Post by GLDAS »

Another manufacturer has a good write-up here:
https://support.cessna.com/docs/custsup ... edures.pdf

This was sent to me by a local Garmin dealer, and the procedures should work on your Diamond.

Also, I believe garmin recently changed the account setup so that here is no need to have a Jeppesen account anymore. (IOS 6 just did autocomplete for jepp to Jeppesen . Cool!)

-Dan
Dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Hi Nir,

Dan's good information should help you with setting up the accounts. However, I just checked my Garmin account, and I still do not see any way to update the Navigation DB (and SID/STAR/IAPs) for the G1000 evey 28 days from the Garmin web site. As far as I know, you still have to create an account on the Jeppesen web site and use their JSUM program to get the 28-day updates (please correct me Dan if there is a newer/better way!). Everything else comes from Garmin. Including SafeTaxi, which you can indeed add after the fact. I believe you buy an "unlock card" from Diamond for SafeTaxi, and then you download the database (and updates) from the Garmin web site.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Nirbm01 »

What about the SVT? And XM weather?
GLDAS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Post by GLDAS »

Nir:
SVT is an SD Card to unlock the functionality - I don't think there is any software update going on there. NB:Don't misplace that card because Garmin will charge you full price for a replacement. XM auto-senses an active subscription, so you:
1) call sirrius/XM and start an account with the desired service level
2) park the plane out where it has a good view of the Southern sky
3) Plug the plane in with an external adaptor, and leave the avionics on.
Come back in an hour and it should be working.
Alternatively, you could fly around for an hour or until it activates.

Garmin's instructions are here:
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/190-0 ... 0J_Web.pdf
-dan
dan@greatlakesdiamond.com
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Nirbm01 »

Many thanks.
I am getting my 07XL next week and trying to figure out all the small details. :)
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: gsontheimer
Aircraft Registration: N937DS
Airports: EDHL

Post by gsontheimer »

Since only a few weeks ago you can get ALL data for your G1000 from either Garmin OR Jeppesen. The product you want is the PilotPack that includes NavData, Terrain, Airport Terrain, Obstacles, Safetaxi, Airport Directory and Flitecharts (Garmin) or ChartView (Jeppesen). In case you want ChartView it makes sense to get the rest of the databases from Jeppesen as well. This means upgrading or ordering the PilotPack from Jeppesen. Otherwise I recommend to buy from Garmin.

The Airport Directory does not work with the current System Software for the DA40. An update would be needed.

The JSUM updater allows only one download for the PDF OR MFD card. This is a bug, malfunction or whatever you may call it. Right now you must call Jeppesen and have them allow to download the second database. They promised to fix this RSN, but it is still broken. GDU versions greater than 10.0 allow a new option called database sync, so only ONE SD card is required and the databases are copied to the second SD card (MFD to PFD) by the G1000 itself. But we do not have GDU software greater 10.0 until DAI releases it. Garmin did the new built last year. It is still not out. Jeppesen did not realize, there are still customers like us who require TWO downloads for a complete update.

Garnin has no limits on downloads. You may download the databases multiple times and create backup SD cards. All are tied into one specific G1000 installation. The copy protection works well.
Gerhard

N937DS: DA40.992 (2008 XLS)
FAA: ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI
EASA: CPL(A)-IR, FI(A), IRI, FE(A), IRE(A)
Cirrus TCI
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Post by Tim M »

We have an 07 XL, non-WAAS and non-SVT. We subscribe to XM radio & WX, and Jeppesen nav data. We do not subscribe to Safe Taxi, nor ChartView. We update our nav data every 28 days and obstacle data once or twice a year. The Jeppesen nav data is downloaded directly to an SD card with the JSUM application that is on my laptop. The obstacle data is downloaded from Garmin to the two lower slot cards with the TSO labels. DO NOT lose either one of those two lower slot cards. They are certified aircraft parts and replacements are $500 each! The lower slot cards contain the aircraft static data, terrain and obstacle data. If you have SVT, SafeTaxi or ChartView I believe those are also on those cards. Also, do not put the TSO'd cards in the upper slot in either display. I did that once and it corrupted my obstacle and terrain databases.

Monthly update of the nav data goes like this:

1. Launch the JSUM application on the laptop.
2. A prompt will show which updates to which you have subscribed are available for download.
3. Put the SD card (I use an old 2mb card) in the laptop and follow the application directions to update the card.
4. Take the card to the airplane and before applying power, put it in the upper slot of one of the displays. I usually start with the PFD and pull the CB for the MFD.
5. Turn on the battery switch and follow the prompts on the PFD.
6. When the PFD update is finished, take the card out of the upper slot and put it in the upper slot of the MFD.
7. Close the MFD CB and follow the prompts.
8. When the MFD is finished updating, take the upper slot card out and keep it for the next cycle.
9. If you have another blank SD card available you can put it in the top slot of the MFD and the system will record log files of flight data that you can then analyze with the help of a log decoder that you will find on this website.
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: gsontheimer
Aircraft Registration: N937DS
Airports: EDHL

Post by gsontheimer »

Look at my earlier post. No need to buy 500$ TSOd SD Cards. Buy standard 4 GB SD cards (2 GB will do as well), but make sure, they are SD cards, not SDHC cards.

Get the Garmin PilotPak subscription, I guess you don't use JeppView anyway, and create a few spare SD-Cards. Just put Basemap and all databases on them. It is supposed to work. I do admit, I use a PilotPak from Jeppesen, so I can not do it and have not done it. The Backup bit.

And put ALL databases on the PFD AND MFD card, so it does not matter if you mix em up.

I did put inadvertantly MFD and PFD cards in the upper slots. It never did anything but create additional log file entries that do not hurt.
Gerhard

N937DS: DA40.992 (2008 XLS)
FAA: ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI
EASA: CPL(A)-IR, FI(A), IRI, FE(A), IRE(A)
Cirrus TCI
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Slight thread drift here but does anyone know if the SVT terrain database has been updated in the last 4 years? And to keep it on the current thread, if you have SVT, DO NOT update it from the Garmin website. The terrain files offered on the website are for non-SVT G1000s.