5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: G1000 - how to update DB

Post by CFIDave »

That's why I don't use the Jepp app on my Mac.

Instead I bought the Jepp Navdata subscription from Garmin and use their website to download from my Mac.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

It's really hard to change old habits :( I've been using jeppesen to update the Nav data since I purchased a 430 for my C310 about 12 years ago. I noticed the price of the updates are the same thru either Garmin or Jeppesen, so maybe I can overcome the inertia and change when my current Jep subscription is up. Thanks Dave.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Gnomad
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N61EP
Airports: KEQY

Post by Gnomad »

Thanks for the clarification Cary, as you stated the app is now JDM.

Interestingly, I have not seen any issues running it on my iMac, as I said, thought is was actually pretty slick. I'm using Mavricks, are you guys also?

Needless to say, enjoy your steak dinner! ;)

Only reason I changed over from Garmin, which I used in my DA40, is I had wanted to check out Jeppesons's charts and for some reason they were already unlocked when I got my DA42! :)
Eric

DA42.N121 (Sold!)
DA40.1136 (Sold!)
Charlotte, NC (KEQY)

My Diamond Flight Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/eparker99a
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nir
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KPAO

Post by Nirbm01 »

This is the link that I am using when updating - it is making the process easier (At least for me )
http://www.flyhpa.com/2012/10/updating-garmin-panels/

Nir
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Gnomad wrote:Interestingly, I have not seen any issues running it on my iMac, as I said, thought is was actually pretty slick. I'm using Mavricks, are you guys also?
I am running Mavericks, and initially thought that was the problem. However, I found it a problem on previous versions as well. As long as you're not having an issue, don't worry about. And, if you start having freezes or crashes you'll know what to do to stop it.

I wonder if it is worth flying to FL to get a steak :)
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Bill A.
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill Armstrong
Aircraft Registration: N236MA
Airports: KSNA

Post by Bill A. »

So - I solved part of the problem I'm having. My software version is .08 which is apparently very old (and I'm guessing version make a huge difference). I took it into the mechanic and while updating the software on GIA2 it wouldn't take. It looks like there is a base software issue I need to deal with first. Garmin is trying to see if there is an easy fix. I'm guessing the GIA played a part.

Then, I'm going to try all the stuff above and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Bill, somewhere between .08 and .23 there was a firmware update for the GIA's. It came as part of the G1000 s/w upgrade, but I can't remember which version it was. I'm guessing you may need to install that version first, then upgrade to the latest version. Garmin should be able to tell you which version that was - I know it was at least 4 years ago, possibly more.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Bill A.
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill Armstrong
Aircraft Registration: N236MA
Airports: KSNA

Post by Bill A. »

Finally got it figure out... Having several variables was the problem.

I had to take the plane into Angel City Flyers (KLGB) for the GTOW modifications and while it was there asked that they help me figure out why the NAV/DB updates weren't working. And now for the run down.

a) There was a problem with GIA2 which required fixing first. What I also didn't realize was that the initial software was "old" (.08) and needed to be updated to .22. The software wasn't per se the issue as the GIA1 was able to be updated, but GIA2 started failing with the updated base software.

b) The original cards were too small for the DB updates. They had to be swapped out for larger cards (I guess these are the -42 cards (?)).

c) When I signed up for Garmin and entered the System ID I used what I thought was the correct information from the SD card (it was one of the options provided in the Garmin setup literature). The first time I entered the number I miss typed it and it failed. I reentered and it accepted it and from a Garmin/Computer standpoint it worked/downloaded just as it was supposed to. As it turns out the label on the original card didn't actually match the System ID on the installed G1000. Result, the downloaded software was linked to another G1000 system somewhere.

d) And finally, I'll admit this as I have all of 10 hours of A/C ownership, I downloaded the wrong software from Garmin for the installed system. I managed to down load the SVT terrain rather than the regular terrain. Both the System ID and the Terrain were easy to fix with Garmin.

Any one of these would apparently cause a problem - when combined it makes the whole thing not work. I will say that Angel City Flyers was great. They're the Diamond Service Center that was going to have to do the base software setup anyway (and they were already scheduled for the GTOW) so it all worked out great. Flew back this evening and everything worked as it should.

I also tried to make the duplicate cards per the prior post with the airframe information in the PFD - that worked. I'm going to tinker with it and see if I can (i) make a set of backup cards while (ii) simultaneously try not to delete the whole thing from the G1000. Wish me luck.

Bill
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

Nirbm01 wrote:This is the link that I am using when updating - it is making the process easier (At least for me ) http://www.flyhpa.com/2012/10/updating-garmin-panels/
Nir, on the page that you've linked to, it repeatedly says "DO NOT FORMAT THE GARMIN CARDS". I need to replace mine as they are only 128KB, so the databases no longer fit. I've bought a couple of 2MB SanDisk cards, with the intention of loading the databases on them and swapping them for the originals. However, that "do not format" warning makes me wonder if this will work. Have Garmin performed some low level magic on their SD cards to lock them to a particular G1000? If so, where can I buy them?

Thanks, Keith
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Keith M wrote:Nir, on the page that you've linked to, it repeatedly says "DO NOT FORMAT THE GARMIN CARDS".
The "DO NOT FORMAT..." warnings are for the cards you have removed from the PFD/MFD to be updated. What they are trying to say is that you don't need to format the EXISTING Garmin cards before updating them.
Keith M wrote:I need to replace mine as they are only 128KB, so the databases no longer fit. I've bought a couple of 2MB SanDisk cards, with the intention of loading the databases on them and swapping them for the originals. However, that "do not format" warning makes me wonder if this will work. Have Garmin performed some low level magic on their SD cards to lock them to a particular G1000? If so, where can I buy them?
There is nothing magic or special about the SD cards - your 2Gb SanDisk cards are perfect! They probably came already formatted, but if not, you will NEED to format them first (FAT). Then, just follow the instructions for loading the databases back from earlier in this thread (or the document you referenced).
Roanoke, VA (KROA)