5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Looking for Accessory Power port fuse

Post by Charles »

I figured that at $3.49, it was worth a try given that the real aviation grade equivalent sells for $149.95 ( http://www.lonestaraviation.com/Power-A ... ocket.html ).

If it doesn't work, I'll have a nice enclosure with which to build my own using something like this: http://instrumentation.obs.carnegiescie ... s/SMSA.pdf.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

About the Aux Power Port. The 2004 and 2005 DA40's I flew both had 24v ports. My current 2007 has a 12v port. I don't know if the 12v port is an option, or if Diamond changed the design so that all DA40's after some year have 12v, but either way they should be clearly marked.

With the 24v ports, there is a single glass slo-blo fuse on the firewall under the engine cowling. For the 12v ports, there is a DC converter to step the 24v down to 12v, and the little Pico fuse on the back of the socket. Both arrangements exist out there, which I guess is why this thread is a bit confusing.

Too bad about the pyrotechnic display with the USB charger - that looked like a good option for charging iStuff from the 24v ports. Hopefully one of the other units will prove more durable!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

[quote="Cschobel"]I thought the power outlet in the DA40 was 24 volts?

The battery is 24 volts, but the alternator puts out approximately 28 volts. In a 12 volt system, a fully charged battery is a little over 12 volts and most alternators put out 14.8 +- volts. If the charging voltage was not higher than the battery voltage, the battery would never charge. You can verify this by looking at the bus voltage before and after start (assuming the alternator switch is on).

Krea Ellis
DA-40XLS
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

krellis wrote:
Cschobel wrote:I thought the power outlet in the DA40 was 24 volts?
The battery is 24 volts, but the alternator puts out approximately 28 volts. In a 12 volt system, a fully charged battery is a little over 12 volts and most alternators put out 14.8 +- volts. If the charging voltage was not higher than the battery voltage, the battery would never charge. You can verify this by looking at the bus voltage before and after start (assuming the alternator switch is on).
You can see this in the data log files - you should see 24 volts at power on, until you start the engine. During start, you will notice the voltage drop a little bit as the starter pulls lots of current from the battery, and then it should jump to 28 volts when the alternator kicks in, until you shut down again.

And just to be perfectly clear, the "12 volt systems" Keith is talking about would be things like your car, etc. - NOT the DA40's with 12 volt aux ports. All DA40's have 24 volt systems - some of them use a DC Converter to send 12 volts to the aux port.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

Rick wrote:All DA40's have 24 volt systems
Except for those with Thielert engines. They have a 12V battery and 14V alternator - probably because that's standard for car engines. However, Austro engines use a 24V system.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rick »

Keith M wrote:
Except for those with Thielert engines. They have a 12V battery and 14V alternator - probably because that's standard for car engines. However, Austro engines use a 24V system.
Yikes - I forgot there were DA40's without Lycomings! :oops: I can be narrow-minded sometimes, just ask my wife! :-D
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Keith M wrote:
I know this is a DA40 forum, but just to make sure that everyone remains confused the Thielert powerd DA42 is a 24 volt system (and an accessory power port is not a standard option on the airplane).
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Just an update on the orange powerlet I bought. They gave me a full refund and corrected the specs on their website and an the manufactures webste. They had no other solutions for us a this time.

Racer wholesale customer service was top notch!

Jeff.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
Gasser
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N415AM
Airports: KADH

Post by Gasser »

Charles wrote:I figured that at $3.49, it was worth a try given that the real aviation grade equivalent sells for $149.95 ( http://www.lonestaraviation.com/Power-A ... ocket.html ).

If it doesn't work, I'll have a nice enclosure with which to build my own using something like this: http://instrumentation.obs.carnegiescie ... s/SMSA.pdf.
Actually the 149 dollar one comes with a TSOd socket which we don't need. They sell just the converter alone for. $ 49.00. I may just go with this and be done. It shows on its spec sheet it's rated for 14/28v. Although written on the plug says 24v.

Waiting on your pirep on the $5 one.

We will see.

Jeff.
Jeff

PRIVATE PILOT, IFR
2005 DA40 SOLD
2006 SR22, A/C, TKS, AVIDYINE PFD/MFD, IFD 540/440, AXP322 remote ADS-B TRANSPONDER, AMX240 AUDIO PANEL, MLB100 ADS B in.
168 KTAS 9,000' msl @ 13.6 gph LOP. 1005 pound useful load.
bcocheran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brad
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N373AM
Airports: KELK

Post by bcocheran »

A 3 amp fuse will not charge an iPad will it? Doesn't an iPad take 10 amps to charge?