2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matthew
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports: KAPA

Suggestions for Part 141 IFR training in DA-40

Post by Mchargmg »

Hey all,

I am looking around for a good IFR school that will take the VA benefit under Part 141. Figured I might as well get something out of the benefit before it runs out. We have several such schools out here in Colorado, but all use Cessna 172's. I have no hours in a Cessna, and honestly am not keen on the idea of learning to fly one. I have flown in a buddy's 172, and it seems like a real tank compared to the DA-20 I normally fly.

I am willing to travel to do the training, and I have found several schools out of the state that seem to fit the bill. Of course I know nothing about them, so it is kind of hard to pick. So, if you have any first hand experience and a recommendation I would love to hear it.

Thanks much,

Geoff
wolfipilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingo
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N943PA
Airports: EDFE

Re: Suggestions for Part 141 IFR training in DA-40

Post by wolfipilot »

Geoff -

as a DA40-owner I had the same issue initially when looking for a flight school to do my Instrument Rating in the US. I ended up in a C172 anyway and it was not that bad. Of course this is truly not as good and smooth as flying a DA40, but just for the rating I would do it again. The C172 is simple (and slow!) to fly and forgiving, and since you are using the view limiting device all time long during the IFR course there is no special need for the extraordinary good outside view the DA40 is offering. On the other side: what was important to me was the avionics, so no 'steam gauges' but G1000 and GFC700 (or KAP140 at least). This is what you should be very familiar with at the very end ...

Cheers
Ingo
Wasco
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ormand
Airports:

Post by Wasco »

Try Summit Aviation at Belgrade, MT (flysummit.net). They use DA40's for IFR. Ask for Janine Nunes. Great school, instructors, mechanics, planes.
Ormand
Tim M
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N704PA
Airports: KRBD

Post by Tim M »

US Aviation at KDTO in north Dallas also has a G1000 DA40.