HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHPN

Re: Replacing back-up Attitude Indicator

Post by HPNAviator »

I am considering this unit from Sandia priced at $3,595. I have spoken with Sandia and they said the DA40 is the perfect use case for this unit. And yes it has a backup battery included. Compared to the price of the L3 unit found in the Cessna 400 TTx this unit is a bargain.
http://www.sandia.aero/

http://www.sandia.aero/?q=system/files/ ... uattro.pdf

The SAI 340 Quattro is Four-In-One standby instrument that gives you precision Airspeed, Attitude, Altitude and Slip indications, all in an easy to read EFIS presentation. The Quattro can serve as a cost effective replacement for steam-gauge standby instruments in retrofit EFIS equipped aircraft, providing for a more consistent user interface during emergency operations. It can also be an excellent safety enhancing addition to your traditional six pack panel.
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N681DS (40.611)
Airports: N14

Post by c2mlp »

Looking into purchasing the RCA2600-3 to replace the backup in my '06 G1000 DA40. The original L3 model I have now always reads about 8 degrees higher pitch up than is accurate. Starting to look at future replacement models. Does anyone know what tilt the panel is? I had the instrument panel cover off the other day and a sticker on the side of the AI stated that it was calibrated for a 10 degree panel.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Is there anything in this size and price range that has a backup AHRS?
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by HPNAviator »

The Sandia SAI 340 in the post above does, however it is only used by the SAI 340 and can not be used by the G1000.
cbrinton
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N563DS 40.863

Post by cbrinton »

Stephen, have you furthered your consideration of the Sania unit?

I replaced my backup AI 2 years ago with another mechanical unit because I wasnt really prepared with another answer and I needed to get back in the air. Next time it happens, I'd like to already know what Im going to do.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Based on a tip from Stephen, I stopped by the Sandia exhibit while at Oshkosh and looked at their SAI 340 unit. It looks like it would be perfect to replace the backup AI. Sandia doesn't expect it to be available for certified aircraft for a few more months, but it might be worth waiting for.

Separately, it appears that Diamond will be using the somewhat similar (but more expensive: $8789) MD302 glass standby indicator in its upcoming DA62, but mounted in a portrait rather than landscape orientation as would be required in a DA40/DA42.
http://www.flysam.com
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

It looks like Dynon has upped their game with the new D10A. Lots of features that were missing in the D6.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/EFIS_ ... rison.html
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by HPNAviator »

Chris, in addition to meeting with Sandia at Oshkosh, I also have reached out to both Premier and Mid Atlantic to see if they would consider offering the SAI 340 as an upgrade to the DA40 / DA42 when the certified model becomes available later this year. I would really like to see this as a factory offering. Not sure what the mechanical altimeter and ASI weigh but it would be nice to get ride of them.

If the MidContinent SAM backup gyro becomes standard equipment in the DA62 perhaps it may trickle down to the DA40 and DA2.

I think the Dynon D10A is a non-starter as it is not certified.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by rwtucker »

HPNAviator wrote:I think the Dynon D10A is a non-starter as it is not certified.
You're right. It looks like Dynon has no plans to seek certification at the moment. I heard that someone in my area got a 377 from our FSDO but don't know the circumstances. Your actual FSDO may vary. :D
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

I suspect a lot of "Here's our awesome new product that we're not going to certify.. yet" in the next few years as we wait for various legislation to work its way thought the system. Why spend gobs of money on certification now when the requirements may relax significantly in 2016 or so?

Though. There's also a trend in technology development to use customers as beta testers. All of Google's services are constantly "beta," and the proliferation of Kickstarter and Indiegogo startups is crazy. (Don't ask me how many smart watches I've 'funded'...)

It's kindof nice having a segment of technology in my life that comes out of the box working, for the most part!
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140