Has anyone already placed an order for a Panthera?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Re: Has anyone already placed an order for a Panthera?

Post by Tommy »

I thought it was the 290 hp. IO 540. You're not going to see 200 kts. with 260 hp. Not with those weights.
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Has anyone heard of any news with this? Pipistrel is releasing the experimental version and taking orders here in the states. I'm looking for any input good or bad about the Panthera.

Thank you,
Curt
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

I still think the Panthera is one of the coolest looking small planes out there. An email exchange I had with Pipistrel in 2015 priced the factory build-assist experimental IO-540 variant at 425,000 euros. 15 gallon aux tanks were an option, too.
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

I'm about ready to pull the trigger. I know the numbers are off a bit. Useful load is about 1100, but the fuel burn is closer to 14.5, not the 10 they advertise. The cruise didn't hit 200 knots, but it is 190+. It's spin rated, Garmin G3X avionics, ballistic chute, more interior room, and currently less expensive than the Cirrus. I like the "experimental" portion of it too. I'm exhausted with Diamond and Garmin with the whole STC, software upgrade, expensive and diminishing parts issues. At least with the Garmin avionics in this one, you have more control and versatility, without compromising on safety.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy one?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

curts63 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:10 pm I'm about ready to pull the trigger. I know the numbers are off a bit. Useful load is about 1100, but the fuel burn is closer to 14.5, not the 10 they advertise. The cruise didn't hit 200 knots, but it is 190+. It's spin rated, Garmin G3X avionics, ballistic chute, more interior room, and currently less expensive than the Cirrus. I like the "experimental" portion of it too. I'm exhausted with Diamond and Garmin with the whole STC, software upgrade, expensive and diminishing parts issues. At least with the Garmin avionics in this one, you have more control and versatility, without compromising on safety.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy one?
First of all, I wonder why this is in the DA40 Forum. The Panthera is a totally different class of airplane. Maybe there should be another forum under aircraft, like "Other Aircraft".

Since you've expressed an attraction for the Experimental version:

- Half a million dollars for a kit. If this is to conform to the 51 percent rule you've presumably got lots of work to do. Be sure you know what you're getting into.
- Does the price including shipping and import duties?
- Retractable aircraft exact continuing costs in terms of maintenance and insurance (the latter for good reason). I see this effect in my local maintenance shop all the time.
- You mention parts problems (which I don't have, admittedly). What assurances do you have that is a non-issue with Pipistrel and its offshore suppliers.
- Note that this model has undergone price-creep, engine-size creep and performance sink since its announcement. The net effect is it isn't really anything magical anymore performance-wise and reflect the universal progress I see for all new aircraft designs.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by neema »

Couple comments to your points, Rich

-I think the plane is factory assist builds only. You're not getting this delivered to your garage. Rather, you probably have to visit the factory a few times to meet the 51% rule

-our DA42 isn't terrible in 1200 hours of ownership being retractable. Maybe an extra $1500 over it's life? Well designed and maintained retracts work fine without breaking the bank

-parts can for sure be an issue. I'd look into the experiences from U.S. based Pipistrel Sinus and Virus owners to see how attentive the manufacturer is for them

-it may have creep in all the wrong directions, but look at the numbers I clipped from a recent youtube video. 185 KTAS and 45 lph/12 gph at 6000'. The CHTs may be toasty, but that's rollin. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/pOKQzpnLvEE

Curt, there's one on Controller if you want to have it in your back pocket asap. Proud on price. Probably a what-if listing to see if anyone wants instant gratification. https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... l-panthera
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Highest CHT is 442F!
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by neema »

I don't know how he can stomach that. Another instance they're at 458°.

What's strange and confusing is Lycoming's manual calling out 435° as max CHT for performance cruise (differerent from 500° redline) and recommendations to run their engines at peak EGT or 50° ROP for high power cruise. In many cases right in the middle of the red box.

Cool to see it doing 193 ktas on 12 gph. Does it very hot, but still impressive.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

A new video of the first Panthera in the US and it is at my home field!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRP_bCkE9K8

Some photos I took today:
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Interesting, looks like a competitor for Da50. For what I’ve got, still satisfied with my Da40 that burns 6 gallons per hour and has all the bells and whistles, except the NXi upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR