2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N321PF
Airports: U77

Re: Carbon Monoxide detector

Post by Downeast25 »

I flew out of North Las Vegas yesterday when it was 110 degrees. The airplane performed beautifully and I was able to manage temps without any trouble, which was a concern of mine. The one issue was a CO alert on my 2007 XL. I opened the windows to make sure I had enough fresh air. The light remained illuminated for about 5 minutes until it went out for the remainder of the 2 hour flight. I also believe this was a function of the sensor getting too hot. I will be picking up a backup sensor just to be sure.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Bill:

I'm not sure what CO sensor is used in the G-1000 Stars, but the Guardian 452-201 has the following specs:

Temperature range 0 °F to 110 °F.
Built-in Temperature compensating circuit.

So you were certainly close to the upper limit. I don't know that it alarms at the upper limit, or even if that is the sensor in your airplane. I have an Aero 553 detector, and it has only alarmed for real CO levels (canopy open on the ground with the engine running, etc.). I know my cockpit has been close to 110 degrees or higher.

Steve
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Bill, missed you at my home airport! Your plane looks like a twin to mine. I've never had a problem from the heat, and I fly near melting temps all the time. As I posted way back when, the only time I get an alarm is with a decent quartering tailwind while idling (and I don't recall any of those times being in the summer). I routinely fly in or out in 110 degrees with no CO alarm issue. With that said, I do carry a backup $30 battery powered CO detector from Home Depot which I just keep in a back seat pocket. It is plenty loud to hear wearing a headset.
Steve
DA40 XL
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

I am thinking of ordering one of these TOCSIN 3 coeckpit monitors from Sportys:
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/carbon ... 16832.html

I have never had a carbon monoxide alarm but just reading the posts above made me a bit concerned. I am also assuming that my 2010 XLS does in fact have built in carbon monoxide detector of some sort.

Could some one tell me the easiest way to check in I have a built in CO2 detector/monitor?
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

In my DA40 there is a dedicated CO sensor alarm light / reset button on the right hand side of the panel, near to the ELT control /annunciator panel. If you do not have this then you may have one integrated into the G1000 - do they exist? If so you will see an item listed on the G1000 Aux page that lists the LRUs.

Tom
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Thanks Tom, I will check that when I go back to the airplane.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

The carbon monoxide detector on my 2010 DA40 XLS appears to have failed.

My plane has a square CO sensor alarm light/reset button on the right-hand side of the panel, near the ELT control/annunciator panel (see image below). When the master switch is turned on now, the alert button immediately starts flashes for a bit before it stays on solid. This happens even while the plane is just in the hanger before the engine is even started.

My understanding is that this system uses a TSO certified remote-mountable Carbon Monoxide detector from Guardian Avionics – the original part number was 452-201-004 which has a 7-year service life. The Guardian web site indicates the original part number has been replaced by part number 452-201-011 at this point. Can anyone confirm this?

It also appears that new 452-201-011 parts are available from Aircraft Spruce for $630 or a failed detector can optionally be sent back to Guardian to have it "re-calibrated" for $480. Has anyone tried to have their unit recalibrated by Guardian and what was your experience? How long did it take to get the re-calibrated unit back?

Finely, where is this detector located and what is involved in replacing it? I assume it is located someplace behind the front panel. Is it easily accessible by just removing the glare shield?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share on this topic!
Attachments
monoxide detector.JPG
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

I went through this earlier this year. Actually, we started the process back in 2019 but everyone involved continuously dropped the ball until now.

Technically the correct part for a G1000 equipped plane is 452-201-010 (vs 010). This allows the unit to interface with the G1000. However, the DA40, so far as I can tell, is not wired for the CO Guardian to interface with the G1000. I verified this by looking at the wiring in my plane and there are not enough connections for the RS-232 connection to pass the data back to the GIA63(W).

You also need a new wiring harness. I believe this must be ordered from Diamond. Guardian changed the interface on the box on the new units and it is not compatible with the old interface. The charge for the adapter in my case was $200. The unit itself was $800 and I have I feeling I was severely overcharged given what I (and you) have seen on Spruce. But after waiting two years I just wanted the thing fixed. Note this wiring hardness is different from the retrofit harness offered by Guardian.

Overhauling the unit was not presented as an option. I'm not sure but you could reach out to Guardian, they have been extremely responsive in my case.

Changing the unit is incredibly simple. It's located just behind the top center portion of the panel.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

It is very easy in my airplane, but I don't have the G1000. I just get a "re-calibrated" (different SN unit). I believe that all they do is replace the sensor and reprogram the microprocessor with the new expiration date. Then, I remove my 553 and send it off to get the core charge credited. In my installation there is no RS232 interface, but I do have it connected to the White Wire annunciator to alert t for CO and altitude. In my airplane, it takes literally 10 minutes to change the unit out...
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Steve, did yours come with the annunciator wired up or did you have that done? If I can't get the G1000 integration wired up I'd at least like an audio alert. I know the unit has tone out but I'm not sure how difficult that would be to wire up.