5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: 12 Year Structural Inspection

Post by Rich »

blsewardjr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm My wing spar AD was $515 in 2018.
Mine was about that in '16. I had it done at the same time as MTOW increase, so the seats were out anyway.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

The attached pic shows the estimated hrs for each check as proposed by Diamond.
I am sure many maintenance organisations will say it is impossible but we managed this when I was chief engineer.

Be aware this is just the inspection, any repairs, replacements etc will be extra hours.
Attachments
Maint hrs.PNG
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

That is an awesome reference to have!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Lance Murray wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 am Maintenance Manual chapter 4 items published after the certification of the aircraft are not mandatory.
Just to be clear, anything put into the "Airworthiness Limitations" Chapter 4 of an aircraft maintenance manual *IS* mandatory, regardless of whether it was added later or was part of the original aircraft certification.

Aircraft manufacturers are not permitted to add anything to Chapter 4 without first having it approved by regulators (e.g., the FAA for N-registered aircraft). So if an item makes it into Chapter 4, it is required. An exception is that regulatory approval for Chapter 4 items might vary by country or regulatory authority (e.g., FAA vs. EASA vs. Canada, etc.), but this is rare.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Dave- Diamond can add the inspection to Chapter 4 but N-registered Part 91 owners do not have to comply with it. As noted in SAIB: HQ-16-14R1, the FAA's position with regard to inspections is the only ones that are mandatory are the original ones or ones that have been added by an AD.

"FAA legal counsel has confirmed that compliance with a manufacturer’s inspection or other maintenance specified in an ALS section of a maintenance manual pursuant to 14 CFR 43.16 or inspection program approved under 14 CFR 91.403(c) does not mean compliance with the DAH’s latest ALS. The only version of an ALS that is mandatory is the version that was included in the particular aircraft’s type design when the aircraft was manufactured, or as amended by an AD."

The 2017 Addendum is not, to my knowledge, the subject of an AD.

See file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/HQ-16-14R1%20(1)%20(1).pdf
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The way that an item is added to Chapter 4 to become required by the FAA (after original certification) is typically via an AD. If an item added to Chapter 4 was not approved by the FAA (but only by some other regulatory authority, e.g. Canada), it is not required for N-registered aircraft, so we're in agreement.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I'm confused. This schedule for this maintenance is in section 5.
Specifically in section 4 is found, marked as a change in the revision in 2013:

Life Time Limit / Structure Checks
There is no structural life limit.

Note: The DA 40 has been designed and tested under a 'damage tolerant structure' philosophy. Therefore the structural inspections given in Chapter 05 cover all required structure checks.

And in section 5, one finds:

Major Structural Inspection (MSI).
At 2000 hours since new and every 2000 hour intervals or 12 years, that which comes first.

Also in 2013 is this temporary revision to section 5 (AMM-TR-MÄM-40-475), which was incorporated into an AMM version that was sitting on the Diamond website a couple of years ago. Though this is no longer in the version on the website for some reason, the temporary revision would seem to remain valid:

Major Structural Inspection (MSI).
At 2000 hours since new and every 2000 hour intervals or 12 years, whichever comes first.
If MÄM 40-394 or MÄM 40-398 is installed: At 6000 hours since new and every 4000 hours intervals or 12 years, whichever comes first.

In any case this looks like a Section 5 entry to me.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Rich - The AMM as posted is not changed, However, see page 8 of the separate December 2017 Addendum to the DA40 AMM. That's where Canada attempts to make the MSI a Ch4 airworthiness limitation -- http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... dendum.pdf
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

CFIDave wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:00 pm The way that an item is added to Chapter 4 to become required by the FAA (after original certification) is typically via an AD. If an item added to Chapter 4 was not approved by the FAA (but only by some other regulatory authority, e.g. Canada), it is not required for N-registered aircraft, so we're in agreement.
Our mechanic came back to us today and said that the MSI is, in fact, a required item as per the FAA.
So after we spoke last week, I wanted to do some digging to find if in fact
the Major Structural Inspection is in fact an optional inspection. After
multiple conversations with Diamond and our FAA inspector, it was
determined that the inspection is actually mandatory. Attached to this
email is an addendum to the DA40 maintenance manual that Diamond sent me
explaining this.
The attachment is the addendum that has been mentioned in the thread. So perhaps there is some way other than an AD to make these inspections mandatory?

Regardless, the time quotes we were given are in line with the Diamond estimated man hours to complete a servicing, so we're probably just going to have to bite the bullet and get the work done.
N172MZ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marc
Aircraft Registration: N172MZ
Airports: KSFF

Post by N172MZ »

Very confusing and conflicting information in here. What is the story, is this 12 year inspection mandatory or not? Can someone summarize the additional requirements of this primarily visual inspection, looks like the rudder has to come off for a look, what else? Where can I direct our non Diamond AP for some guidance to do this inspection? We have a 2006 DA40XL SN 730 that appears to be due for this. How many of you of this vintage have not done the additional 12 year inspection at annual? There were a ton of DA40XL's sold in this timeframe (pre-recession, when $$ was there to spend on airplanes) that would fall into this. Now on a tight budget so trying to keep costs down. Thanks everyone.