5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Nav data update for G1000 simulator

Post by Rick »

So I'm home now. I just installed the DA40 G1000 Sim V12.01 on a clean Windows 7 Pro computer. When I started it up, I had Nav DB dated 18-NOV-2010. Next I deleted the avtn_db.bin file from the winfs_mount folder, and run the Sim again. The MFD said "No Nav DB". Next, I copied a new avtn_db.bin file from a recent update and restarted the Sim. Now the MFD says 23-JUL-2015. So, I have at least two installations that are working as I described below. I'm just not sure why your is behaving differently.

I notice that the installation folder in Windows ends with "v12.00", but the CD I installed from says "Version 12.01" on the front. But if you're installing from the same CD I am, I'm not sure why it's not behaving the same way. :scratch:

The "datacard1.img" file contains the checklist file and the data logs for anything you do on the Sim. It's basically the equivalent of the SD card in your MFD. But no Nav DB.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: gsontheimer
Aircraft Registration: N937DS
Airports: EDHL

Post by gsontheimer »

I just went through a pile of CDs and found the G100 PC Trainer. Mine says "Version 12.01" on the CD as well, so we should have the same software.

I will uninstall & delete the whole G1000 software tonight and re-install. This drives me nuts. A realistic IFR procedure trainer needs up-to-date databases, of course.
Gerhard

N937DS: DA40.992 (2008 XLS)
FAA: ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI
EASA: CPL(A)-IR, FI(A), IRI, FE(A), IRE(A)
Cirrus TCI
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by gsontheimer »

I have now deinstalled the Simulator v12.00 and reinstalled it. Observations:

1. The winfs_mount subfolder has 7 files: avtn_db.org, apt_dir.gca, bmap.bin, safetaxi.bin, terrain.adb, terrain.odb, terrain_9as.tdb

2. The files are all NON s h attributes

3. If the files are removed, the sim STILL WORKS and FINDS ALL DATABASES! why is that?

4. The sim never shows the "analyzing databases" or "updating databases" screen.

5. My databases from the original G1000 SIM cards all have the h (hidden) and s (system) attribute set, which can not be cleared by the Windows Explorer.

6. The new databases in the winfs_mount subfolder do no good. They are just to recognized.

Damn. What now?
Gerhard

Cirrus TCI
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

gsontheimer wrote:I have now deinstalled the Simulator v12.00 and reinstalled it. Observations:

1. The winfs_mount subfolder has 7 files: avtn_db.org, apt_dir.gca, bmap.bin, safetaxi.bin, terrain.adb, terrain.odb, terrain_9as.tdb

3. If the files are removed, the sim STILL WORKS and FINDS ALL DATABASES! why is that?

4. The sim never shows the "analyzing databases" or "updating databases" screen.

5. My databases from the original G1000 SIM cards all have the h (hidden) and s (system) attribute set, which can not be cleared by the Windows Explorer.

6. The new databases in the winfs_mount subfolder do no good. They are just to recognized.

Damn. What now?
Hello Gerhard,

My simulator doesn't like it when the winfs_mount folder is removed (renamed). In the attached MFD startup screen, I get "N/A" for the various databases. When clicking through the screen I end up getting to a blank map on the MFD so my simulator (also version 12.00) clearly needs the files.

This might sound silly but I suggest checking that you don't have more than one copy of the G1000 simulator installed for whatever reason. I suggest (if you have not done so) going to the directory where the G1000 simulator is installed and executing the batch file "Start_Dual_Screen.bat" file to ensure that you don't have the simulator somehow installed more than once.

The file attributes should not make a difference, however just in case they do, you should be able to change them from the command prompt using "attrib -s -h <filename>".

Regards,

Wolfgang
Attachments
G1000.jpg
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by linzhiming »

gsontheimer wrote:I have now deinstalled the Simulator v12.00 and reinstalled it. Observations:

Also, to add to my previous post, I don't think the file attributes should matter (see below). In my installation, winfs_mount is the directory that has updated databases whereas winfs_mount.bak is the directory with the original databases. Although the file attributes are different, they do not cause any problems:

Code: Select all

D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount>attrib
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\apt_dir.gca
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\avtn_db.bin
A  SH        D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\bmap.bin
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\safetaxi.bin
A  SH        D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\terrain.adb
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\terrain.odb
A  SHR       D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\terrain.tdb
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\terrain_9as.tdb

D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount>cd ..

D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00>cd winfs_mount.bak

D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak>attrib
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\apt_dir.gca
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\avtn_db.bin
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\bmap.bin
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\safetaxi.bin
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\terrain.adb
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\terrain.odb
A            D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak\terrain_9as.tdb

D:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount.bak>
Regards,

Wolfgang
gsontheimer
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by gsontheimer »

AAAAHHH. Just wrote a long post with pictures and then it got lost. All over again ...

It gets as weird as one can imagine:

1. I reset all attributes with Admin privileges to -R -S -H. So that is out of the way. Still the sim does not load the new databases.

2. Instead of "Start_Dual_Screen.bat" I started "CDUSIMv2.exe" directly from the "Program Files\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00" directory. It loads the old databases.

3. I started "CDUSIMv2.exe" with a right click and Admin privileges. Bingo! It shows the "Initialize System Screen" and loads the NEW databases. :)

4. I start "CDUSIMv2.exe" normally. The old databases are there. This is weird. With admin privileges the program looks somewhere else for the databases than normally. It looks for the data in the Program directory "winfs_mount".

5. I start "Start_Dual_Screen.bat" with right click Admin Privileges. This starts in an environment with "C:\Windows\system32" as the starting directory. It cannot find CDUSIMv2.exe and reports two errors.

6. I make my own "Start_My_Dual_Screen.bat" where I first change the directory and then start two instances of CDUSIMv2.exe. Bingo. This works.

But it works only, if I start that BAT file in Admin Privileges. There must be an easier way. Where is the Program looking for the data with user privileges???
Attachments
CDUSIMv2.exe with Admin privileges reports ...
CDUSIMv2.exe with Admin privileges reports ...
Start CDUSIMv2.exe with Admin privileges
Start CDUSIMv2.exe with Admin privileges
Start CDUSIMv2.exe
Start CDUSIMv2.exe
Start Start_Dual_Screen.bat
Start Start_Dual_Screen.bat
Gerhard

Cirrus TCI
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by linzhiming »

gsontheimer wrote:AAAAHHH. Just wrote a long post with pictures and then it got lost. All over again ...

It gets as weird as one can imagine:

1. I reset all attributes with Admin privileges to -R -S -H. So that is out of the way. Still the sim does not load the new databases.

2. Instead of "Start_Dual_Screen.bat" I started "CDUSIMv2.exe" directly from the "Program Files\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00" directory. It loads the old databases.

3. I started "CDUSIMv2.exe" with a right click and Admin privileges. Bingo! It shows the "Initialize System Screen" and loads the NEW databases. :)

4. I start "CDUSIMv2.exe" normally. The old databases are there. This is weird. With admin privileges the program looks somewhere else for the databases than normally. It looks for the data in the Program directory "winfs_mount".

5. I start "Start_Dual_Screen.bat" with right click Admin Privileges. This starts in an environment with "C:\Windows\system32" as the starting directory. It cannot find CDUSIMv2.exe and reports two errors.

6. I make my own "Start_My_Dual_Screen.bat" where I first change the directory and then start two instances of CDUSIMv2.exe. Bingo. This works.

But it works only, if I start that BAT file in Admin Privileges. There must be an easier way. Where is the Program looking for the data with user privileges???
Have you tried scanning your hard drives?

Wolfgang
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Post by Wall-e »

Regarding update of the simulator nav data, the directory winfs_mount exists in two places. The one that works for me is C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Cirrus Perspective Trainer v14.01\winfs_mount
Wally
CFII
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Post by Wall-e »

Correction for winfs_mount folder: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount
Wally
CFII
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Post by midlifeflyer »

Wall-e wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:55 pm Correction for winfs_mount folder: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount
Just came across this thread with the same issue. In case anyone else is still looking, :^ this is the solution for the 12.x version of the software.

While most of the databases the sim uses are in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\

The navigation database is housed separately in
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Diamond DA40 Trainer v12.00\winfs_mount\

Thank you Wall-e!