5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: Power Flow

Post by Antoine »

Enrick go for it. It is great. It will also help your engine run cleaner. And while you are at it, get fine wire plugs. Another big improvement.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Erik »

I agree with Antoine. Several things that will really make your engine go hummmmmmm, save fuel (whether rop or lop) and surely make your engine last longer because it is running smooooother.

1) Fine wire plugs
2) Gami injectors to balance fuel flow
3) Power flow
Enrick

Re: Power flow

Post by Enrick »

to make a folow up on my diamond da-40 powerflow,

its on the aircraft now, and i can see good result, you reply to my topic, antoine and an other one said something about this, get fine spark plug wire and gamie fuel injector to balance something...

can you tell me more about htis, a link where i can buy this.... and my mag is goinf to be done in 30h for the 500h, im looking to have the electroair upgrade.... do i have to replace just one mag and keep the other, or i have to replace both....

any link or help will be help full

im sorry to post on the public furum, my account ass been close by admin last year, hope you will see this post on the public side... thanks
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Enrick, here you go:

About balanced injectors: If you have an engine monitor you can easily do the GAMI test yourself. My engine passed it as is and GAMI told me that I could keep my injectors and run the engine LOP.

http://www.gami.com/gamijectors/gamijectors.php

Once your fuel injection is balanced to GAMI standards, you can run the engine LOP. Running LOP means that you pull your mixture level back enough to have all four cylinder's EGT go beyond peak into the lean territory. This causes some power loss, but maximizes combustion efficiency and therefore MPG.

And if you fly high (MP below 24 inches) and run LOP; then the ElectroAir seems to be in its element. I say "seems" because this is what they claim, but no own experience. I considered the ElectroAir system several times and decided NOT to buy it...

Another performance enhancing item is to ... avoid losing 4-5 knots to a nose wheel that is not aligned with the airflow. Many DA40's have this problem... especially when operating from grass strips. It seems that a single rotation from an unpaved runway was enough to ruin the friction setting in my nose wheel and cause the famous problem to occur again.

I also recommend that you carefully plug the gaps between the engine and its cooling plenum. This will allow 100% of your cooling airflow to go where it was intended to. As a result you will be able to lean the engine closer to max power in the climb (as opposed to staying full rich). This will increase performance and save gas...

Disclaimer: Some of the advice above is not consistent with AFM data and/or with Lycoming user manuals. Use at your discretion and be careful...
lorikeet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Florian
Airports:

Post by lorikeet »

rwtucker wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:33 pm The test data reflected in the chart do not appear to be independently validated but if we take the chart at face value, the PowerFlow increases HP across the entire usable RPM range. I'm trying to figure out how this can be true, even based on PowerFlow's explanation of how HP is gained. There may also be differences in efficiency gains between carburetor and fuel-injected engines.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Dear all,

this is a pretty old thread and I started reading about the Power Flow Exhaust - The 2008 XLS I want to buy a share in has one of these and indeed the climb performance is great. However, from the eBook I figure that for cruise the power flow exhaust is actually NOT so good.

Why? The AFM states that the maximum allowed continuous RPM of our IO-360M1A is 2,400 rpm.

Reading the Power Flow Exhaust eBook and looking at the chart on page 19 it shows that at 2,400 rpm the HP output without power flow is 110.5 HP while for the Power Flow it 108.3. At 2,500 RPM the difference is even larger and the NON power flow exhaust has 5 HP more.

Looking at higher RPM at 2,600 and 2,700 RPM the Power Flow seems so have a great advantage, but only in an RPM range which is not recommended for continuous operation.

Any thoughts? Thanks for shring your knowledge!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

As one who converted from the original to the PF, I can tell you that SL rate of climb increased by 300-350 FPM and 75% power setting cruise went up by about 6 knots. My plane used to deliver right on book for all power settings. Now it beats book in all realms of flight. The increase in cruise over book is somewhat greater at higher altitudes for whatever reason.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
pietromarx
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: NZZZ
Airports: KWHP

Post by pietromarx »

lorikeet wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 pm Why? The AFM states that the maximum allowed continuous RPM of our IO-360M1A is 2,400 rpm.
Actually, this was for the original propeller delivered with the DA-40 and is replaced by the POH / AFM / supplement / revision / addendum / etc for the propeller you have on the airplane. The Hartzells (composite and metal) do not have any restriction and the max continuous RPM is recommended to be 2700 RPM.

As I recall the Powerflow is tuned for 2450...

Peter
lorikeet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by lorikeet »

Rich wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 pm As one who converted from the original to the PF, I can tell you that SL rate of climb increased by 300-350 FPM and 75% power setting cruise went up by about 6 knots. My plane used to deliver right on book for all power settings. Now it beats book in all realms of flight. The increase in cruise over book is somewhat greater at higher altitudes for whatever reason.
Hey, thanks for the confirmation that things work :) What settings do you fly in cruise for 75% and what prop do you have?
lorikeet
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by lorikeet »

pietromarx wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 pm
lorikeet wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:44 pm Why? The AFM states that the maximum allowed continuous RPM of our IO-360M1A is 2,400 rpm.
Actually, this was for the original propeller delivered with the DA-40 and is replaced by the POH / AFM / supplement / revision / addendum / etc for the propeller you have on the airplane. The Hartzells (composite and metal) do not have any restriction and the max continuous RPM is recommended to be 2700 RPM.

As I recall the Powerflow is tuned for 2450...

Peter
I see, then this is a problem going above 2,400 rpm with the original 3-blade MT-Propeller :( Thanks for the hint, I found the Hartzell STC which describes the 2,700 rpm modification.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

lorikeet wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm
Rich wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 pm As one who converted from the original to the PF, I can tell you that SL rate of climb increased by 300-350 FPM and 75% power setting cruise went up by about 6 knots. My plane used to deliver right on book for all power settings. Now it beats book in all realms of flight. The increase in cruise over book is somewhat greater at higher altitudes for whatever reason.
Hey, thanks for the confirmation that things work :) What settings do you fly in cruise for 75% and what prop do you have?
MT prop. I generally use 2400 RPM for cruise. That continuous RPM limit was put in place by Diamond. The paperwork for the MT itself lists 2700 max continuous, as does the engine itself, of course.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5