5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: DA40-NG comparrison to DA40-XLS

Post by CFIDave »

Antoine:
The other thread to which you linked doesn't say that there were DA40 NG/Tundra Austro engine failures in flight.

Instead I seem to recall a different problem, which is that 2 switches on the DA40 NG (including Tundra) instrument panel are poorly designed and placed: the switch for the electric fuel pump (which is turned on for takeoffs and landings) is just a smaller version of the Engine Master switch and located right next to the Engine Master switch. Both switches are silver metal, and both require you to pull out and up (a guard feature to minimize accidental movement) before the metal levers can be moved down into the "off" position.

Thus you can easily imagine a scenario where shortly after takeoff a DA40NG/Tundra pilot switched off the engine rather than the electric fuel pump. This would account for the Russian Tundra crashes -- due to accidental engine shutdown -- right after takeoff while still at low altitude.

IMHO, Diamond should relocate and change DA40 NG electric fuel pump switches to the white plastic vertical rocker switches used for electric fuel pumps in the Austro-powered DA42-VI and DA42NG aircraft. On those aircraft (including our DA42) there's no potential for confusion.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Dave: I linked to the other thread because it relates two stall/spin accidents, both fatal, in DA40 NGs.
I am not challenging the reliability of the Austro.
All I'm saying (and always have) is that the 40NG is a dangerous, poorly designed "bolt-on".
And I am genuinely sorry (infuriated) that the facts prove my reservations to be justified. Four casualties from stall/spin is news to the DA40 world - very bad news.
I could not even imagine back then that there would be such bloody proof, but some time ago there was a call on this very forum to support the DA40NG as "plane of the year". My reply was a vocal "NIET".

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4735&hilit=vote

I think we should all take some distance from our favorite aircraft maker and think twice before recommending this Quasimodo of a plane.
Oops- looks like I'm getting wound up. Sorry!
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Antoine wrote:Dave: I linked to the other thread because it relates two stall/spin accidents, both fatal, in DA40 NGs.
All I'm saying (and always have) is that the 40NG is a dangerous, poorly designed "bolt-on".
. . . and look at the ratios. How many UA/stability accidents per NG vs per XL/S? I can't help but wonder if the extra weight of the powerplant is the sole factor. Does anyone know if any other changes were made in the airframe?
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

rwtucker wrote:I can't help but wonder if the extra weight of the powerplant is the sole factor. Does anyone know if any other changes were made in the airframe?
I've beat this drum before, but the NG has an 11% higher stall speed, which puts it up with the SR2x.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Does anyone have access to a POH (i.e. a pdf thereof) for an NG? Trying to run through comparison with the base DA-40's. In particular, mine being one of the early ones, I have a 230 lb. empty weight advantage against the published empty weight of the NG in the marketing fluff. For me, that's almost a full tank of fuel.

And what's the real empty weight of one of these as delivered? Any figures?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

Rich, you can download the POH for any Diamond aircraft from their web site. Here's the link to the one for the DA40NG:

http://support.diamond-air.at/da40_ng_a ... 73ab0.html
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Rich wrote: And what's the real empty weight of one of these as delivered? Any figures?
IIRC 900 Kg (about 1980 lbs). MTOW was recently increased to 1310 Kg.
The DA40 is not particularly light to start with, but the -180 offers out-of-this-world slow flight characteristics.
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Not to beat a horse that should be dead (is it?) but here is more evidence that aviation ECUs are significantly behind the current state of the technology.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5405

The NG ECUs haven't been around long enough to show their stuff.
mbitran
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marco
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: n920LA
Airports: KOWD

Post by mbitran »

I spent a lot of time researching this issue and finally purchase a DA 40 NG. I have over 100 hours experience in the XLS.

I'll state that the NG and the Austro engine is amazing --- so happy with the purchase. If anyone is going through the same decision process - feel free to reach out to me. I've spoken to plenty of owners and mechanics, etc.
firedwg1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: josh
Aircraft Registration: DA40XLS
Airports: KSNA

Post by firedwg1 »

Good read, I like the fadec and turbo aspect of the TDI.