3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

worth upgrading to 321.23 ?

Post by curts63 »

Since buying my new to me Diamond, I see that the software version isn't the latest. I have version 321.22 Is it worth the investment to upgrade? If so, do you have any recommendations as to who should do it near me? I'm just north of Allentown, PA. Or, if it ain't broken, don't fix it?

Curt
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Re: worth upgrading to 321.23 ?

Post by Chris B »

curts63 wrote:I have version 321.22 Is it worth the investment to upgrade?
Hi Curt -

You may want to check this thread (link) which has details on the features enabled in 321.23 (see the Garmin STC Service Bulletin 1334 on page 3). Some of these features may be available in your 321.22 version, but IMO the huge additions are the profile view and range-to-altitude arc (aka, "banana").

Note that our WAAS aircraft are going to need an additional software update to properly use the GTX 345R for ADS-B (i.e., without requiring a more expensive GTX 345R with GPS, an additional antenna, and more complicated installation). Presumably that update will arrive before 2020, but there is no information from either Garmin or Diamond about availability. Hopefully the next revision, if and when it arrives, will also include Radius-To-Fix support. This is a new class of instrument approaches that promise significant improvements (link) in terrain clearance.

Chris
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by curts63 »

So I should wait until the ADS-B Transponder installation is approved along with the appropriate software too. At that time, hopefully someone here will know a good shop or person to take it to.

Thanks for the advice.

Curt
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Curt:
My recommendation is to go ahead with the .23 upgrade now rather than waiting. Since G1000 software is free, you only need to pay a Garmin tech for about 2 hours of their time to perform the software upgrade -- a pretty good value compared to most aviation-related expenses.

The "banana" feature of .23 is so useful that I use it on just about every flight: On IFR flights to confirm that I'm going to meet ATC-dictated waypoint crossing altitudes when descending, and on VFR flights to make sure I get down to pattern altitudes in time. Some of this functionality can be obtained by using the VNAV Along-track-offset feature, but the "banana" is far easier and more intuitive to use.

Chris:
I'm not aware of G1000 software for any aircraft that yet implements Radius-to-Fix. But the link you included provides some interesting reading. Around here, all the airliners use Radius-to-fix to snake down the Potomac River when approaching Washington National airport (KDCA) from the northwest.

You can get a preview of likely features to be included in the next DA40 software update by looking at what's included in the latest available DA42 or DA62 software (GDU Version 14). On our DA42 one of the coolest new features is the ability to create custom holding patterns based on any waypoint, including user-defined waypoints. Besides being helpful for ATC holds, I was thinking this might be useful to watch some rocket launches at NASA Wallops Island near us -- by holding just outside of the launch TFR area. And you can fly hundreds of LP (as opposed to LPV) WAAS GPS approaches with GDU Version 14.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Curt - If your current SW does not include the banana and/or profile view, I agree with Dave that you should seriously consider upgrading. That was actually the intent of my post, but somehow didn't get through.

Dave - I believe that RTF was recently released on the GTN 650/750. So we can always hope. And thank you for the preview on arbitrary holds. That would also be helpful!

Chris
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by curts63 »

Since you are recommending the upgrade, I should look into where to go and have it done. I read on here somewhere that the upgrade requires someone familiar with the DA40 settings. Any suggestions where to go?

Curt
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Any reputable Garmin shop should be able to do a G1000 software upgrade -- I've done it (with a licensed A&P/tech sitting in the seat next to me) and it's very straightforward. The tech will need to download the installation software for DA40 version .23 from the password-protected Garmin dealer website onto an SDCard. You remove all your G1000 database cards, pull the PFD/MFD circuit breakers, and insert the install SDCard into the PFD or MFD. Restart the G1000 by holding down the Enter key while putting in the PFD or MFD circuit breaker. This process is the same for DA40s as it is for other G1000-equipped aircraft, so it should be familiar to the tech.

The hardest part after new version install is remembering to configure all of the options you have on your aircraft (e.g., GDL69A for XM weather, TAS600 active traffic, extended range fuel tanks) -- the good news is that there's an options list in the install software to jog your memory.

Finally you'll need to insert your G1000-specific *unlock* SDCards cards to restore expensive software options like SVT and TAWS. Make sure you have these unlock cards handy before you start (they should have been provided to you by Diamond or the seller of your aircraft, since they're tied to your G1000 System ID).

A tech with some DA40 experience is "nice-to-have" but not necessary if you're around to help them enable the options installed on your specific aircraft -- you'll know which ones you have.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

CFIDave wrote: The hardest part after new version install is remembering to configure all of the options you have on your aircraft (e.g., GDL69A for XM weather, TAS600 active traffic, extended range fuel tanks) -- the good news is that there's an options list in the install software to jog your memory.
Definitely make sure that the extended range fuel tank option is selected if you have the extended range fuel tanks. If the G1000 software is installed with the standard range fuel tank option and you change the configuration later, then the fuel tank sensor calibration data is lost and the the G1000 would need to be recalibrated, which requires the shop to completely defuel the aircraft. (I had to go through that procedure a couple of years ago...)

The DA40 G1000 system maintenance manual (I posted the PDF on this forum a while ago, you can do a search for that in the forum) describes how the upgrade and configuration is done. I suggest you show this to the avionics person performing the upgrade although he/she should do that by default and get it from the Garmin dealer site.

Wolfgang
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Our experience with upgrades hasn't been quite as rosy as Dave's. Two out of the three upgrades we've done had to be reinstalled a second time due to something that went wrong during the initial upgrade process. These were done at G1000-saavy shops who regularly worked on Diamond aircraft, so it's not like it was their first time through the routine. I think the third upgrade went smoothly, though, so perhaps the process is more streamlined now (or the techs more experienced).

And definitely don't forget to bring your feature unlock SD cards. Been there, done that. :oops:
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

I experienced one other "gotcha" in addition to the unlock cards and tank configuration as Dave, Wolfgang, and Chris mentioned above. Our DA40's came configured with two different CO2 monitoring systems. Only one of these is controlled by the G1000 software. If you do not have the software managed version and you check the CO2 option on the install process, the software will look for your CO2 hardware at every boot up and periodically throughout the flight. So far as I know, there is no safety issue associated with making the wrong choice, just an occasional "Data path failed" message.

Dave and others have a lot more experience with this than I do but my experience is that it can help to have someone who has done a few G-1000 upgrades, even if they were not Diamonds. The upgrade prompts are pretty clear once you understand them but there are a few opportunities for error if you are a first time installer. Also, the install software is not bug free. I have seen it crash once (an earlier version as I recall). If all else fails, make your own checklist (see the PDF Wolfgang posted), bring it with you, and sit with the installer through the process.