3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: 815DS
Airports: 60J

Aux input volume

Post by h20wrks »

I use my IPhone plugged into the G1000 aux input jack for inflight entertainment. My problem is that the volume is extremely low unless I plug in the charging cable. Plugging in the power cable creates electrical noise. Any suggestions? I am wondering if a shielded cable would help, or if I should have my e-tech turn up the input volume and run on the phone battery.

Thanks,

Jim Villa
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Aux input volume

Post by CFIDave »

Plugging in the charging cable might cause electrical noise (e.g., due to creating a ground loop), but I don't see how that could change the volume level. A shielded cable isn't likely to make much difference if this is causing a ground loop. (BTW, this same issue exists with in many cars if you play an iPhone through the car's Auxillary input jack and then also plug in a car charger.) If you don't want to hear hum or buzz, don't charge the phone at the same time you're listening to audio.

Instead, I would consider this: The G1000 rebooted into Maintenance mode can be configured to increase the volume on your aux input jack (and GDL-69A SiriusXM satellite radio volume). Other threads here explain how to do this, but if you're not comfortable messing with the G1000 configuration (you can screw things up if you're not careful), have a Garmin tech adjust the G1000 volume level for you -- it's about a 5 minute job.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

Jim,

In addition to Dave's advice, you might also swap out the audio cable you are using and remove and inspect the audio plate to make sure the visible connections are electrically sound. You could get this symptom with a faulty cable or high resistance ground on the jack.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:29 pm
Instead, I would consider this: The G1000 rebooted into Maintenance mode can be configured to increase the volume on your aux input jack (and GDL-69A SiriusXM satellite radio volume). Other threads here explain how to do this, but if you're not comfortable messing with the G1000 configuration (you can screw things up if you're not careful), have a Garmin tech adjust the G1000 volume level for you -- it's about a 5 minute job.
Hi Dave,
How do you accomplish the G1000 maintenance reboot? I’d like to raise the volume on my aux input. Thanks
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

OK, it's now called "Configuration Mode." Again, don't mess with this unless you're careful because you can really mess things up.

To start the G1000 system in Configuration mode, follow these steps:

1. With the G1000 system off, open the MFD and PFD circuit breakers.
2. Connect external power to the aircraft and energize the aircraft and avionics electrical busses.
3. Press and hold the ENT key on the MFD and close the MFD circuit breaker.
4. Release the ENT key after 'INITIALIZING SYSTEM' appears in the upper left corner of the MFD.
5. Press and hold the ENT key on the PFD and close the PFD circuit breaker.
6. Release the ENT key after 'INITIALIZING SYSTEM' appears in the upper left corner ofthe PFD.

You'll then need to navigate through the Page Groups on the PFD and find the GMA Configuration page for the GMA 1347 audio panel. It'll look something like this:
Attachments
IMG_3782.jpeg
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:21 pm You'll then need to navigate through the Page Groups on the PFD and find the GMA Configuration page for the GMA 1347 audio panel. It'll look something like this:
Thanks Dave. Would Music #1 likely be XM and Music #2 the Aux jack input? Also, any idea how much you would increase the value if music is currently audible but relatively low volume?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

I think the SXM music from GDL69A is routed to the aux jack, then to the G1000 audio panel -- so they're likely on the same G1000 input. You'll notice that if you plug something into the aux jack, that it switches GDL69A music off. Check the electrical schematic at the end of the DA40 AMM for more info.

10db doubles the perceived loudness (IIRC, due to hearing being logarithmic), so try increasing the value by +10 to double the volume.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI