5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Best sun shade for DA40?

Post by CFIDave »

The mesh is kinda transparent on the Rosen shades, so that's why I suggested doubling them up (i.e., you can hook the pair of suction cups through TWO shades simultaneously), doubling their thickness to better block sunlight. It does mean you'll have to purchase more than one shade, though.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Static cling window tint.
Star57
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Frank
Aircraft Registration: C-FRZA 40.509
Airports: CYBW

Post by Star57 »

Lou wrote:As winter settles in and the mercury drops, we are already planning an escape in mid-February when we will head for Tucson, AZ, and a little sun to perk up our pasty winter complexions. I had a look at some older threads but I would like to know what is the current consensus opinion on the best solution for sun shade? Up here (54N) I use a couple of stick-on sun shades for the days that we need them, but is that gonna cut it in the desert? I have seen some photos of what looks like a zig-zag folded awning inside the top canopy, and I thought that might be pretty nice when we get south. I haven't located it online.

All thoughts gratefully received. If you toss in a few suggestions or comments about our proposed trip (CZVL KGTF KDTA KPRC KRYN) that would be ideal.
Lou, I have done that trip many times, only as far a Glendale, but I believe that if you are traveling during the week you can avoid a stop.
Try CZVL KHLN KFOM KRYN , Both AirPorts are very quick.... try it the numbers work well in ForeFlight
Cheers
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

Just flew from Arkansas to Nevada across OK, TX, NM, and AZ using the static stick-on shades. I got them from airspruce.com. Really, really LOVED them. One is probably enough, though a second one can be useful if you've got a passenger. They're 100% clear, and you can put them exactly where you need them. Also have a Rosen suction-cup one, but didn't like it as well.
Kurt h
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kurt
Aircraft Registration: N278CM
Airports: KEFD

Post by Kurt h »

Been using these static cling shades for years during flight. Simple and small to fold up and store away. have to clean them every once in a while to keep the static effect.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... kkey=19548
Kurt
2004 DA40.391
drdyan
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Dyan
Aircraft Registration: N615DV
Airports: KTOA

Post by drdyan »

I use these stick on mesh sunshades from an auto parts store like Pep Boys. They are 3 or 4 dollars for a pair and weigh nothing. Easy to move around and work really well on the curved canopy. I love them and use them a LOT in sunny California.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

I've just heard back from Jet Shades, a new manufacturer of high end transparent sun shades for jets that can be used in flight. They also make shades for Cirrus and Bonanza aircraft, among others. See https://jet-shades.com In the Cirrus, the shades cover the back windows, side windows and the top quarter or so of the windshield. They informed me that they are about 2 -3 weeks away from releasing the DA 40/42 shades. They have flight tested them and expect to do the final testing next week. It will be interesting to see how they solve the problem of our "bubble" canopies because their normal approach is to hold them in place by fitting them to window frame edges. However, if they are successful, this could go a long ways towards solving one of the DA40/42's biggest issues.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Also don't forget the sun screen. There is no UV protection in most clear canopies. I usually learn that the hard way every year flying the sailplane for several hours without having applied sunscreen.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

When the JetShades product becomes available for the DA40/DA42, these do have UV protection. However, your advice Peter is well taken and a good reminder - regardless of whatever product is used for blocking out the sun inside our cockpits. As even a fuel stop in hot weather can exceed my UV quota for a single day.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I just got the same response from JetShades, 2-3 weeks.