5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Canopy Latch gas strut

Post by Rick »

Does anyone know the part number for the gas strut in the DA40 canopy latch? It's Diamond part number D41-5211-60-91, but they are currently out of stock. Mine is shot and needs to be replaced. I would like to find a source for this - I'm sure it is just a standard strut I could buy somewhere locally, if I knew the part number. But I can't see the strut without removing it, which requires disassembling and removing the entire latch mechanism, which requires removing the canopy. I would prefer to do that only once. If anyone knows the underlying part number, I would appreciate the information. Here is a picture of the mechanism with the gas strut showing (from a Diamond document):
Canopy Latch.jpg
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Canopy Latch gas strut

Post by mhoran »

I'm also looking to replace this part on my DA40. I had the front canopy open in flight last Spring, due to a crack in the rod that connects this lever to the locking pin that enters the frame. After replacement, the canopy opened in flight once again, this time due to lack of pressure provided by a dead gas strut.

If my mechanic does manage to replace the strut (we're down for an annual right now -- which has lasted almost a month due to a delay in inspection of the pilot seat belt assembly), I'll let you know how he got the replacement.

FWIW, you do NOT need to remove the canopy to replace this part. We had to pull out this assembly to adjust the rod when it popped out the second time, and we managed to do so without removing the canopy. It was a bit tricky but we were able to do so with the canopy in place.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but...

These are certified airplanes. If there is a Diamond part number associated with the part, that is the part you need to replace it with. If it had a NAPA part number, you would be expected to use that part as a replacement.

Yes I know the likelihood of being ramp checked, etc. etc. - but per the regs, you need to replace parts with the same part number or one that is PMA'd. I'm sure some of you may have a different reading of the FAR's.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

mhoran wrote: FWIW, you do NOT need to remove the canopy to replace this part. We had to pull out this assembly to adjust the rod when it popped out the second time, and we managed to do so without removing the canopy. It was a bit tricky but we were able to do so with the canopy in place.
You are correct. I've done this, also. Not to replace it, but to try and figure out what was the root of a kind of grating noise as it compressed. Never did figure it out and put it back in years ago and just lived with it.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

That gas strut was replaced while my plane was at the factory. I was having to hold the lever closed on takeoff and occasionally nudge it closed in flight. It never popped all the way open, but it was annoying. Now it is like new.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Interesting, but my latch assembly (2001) does not have a gas strut. It also does not self-unlatch in flight...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Hm, I didn't think the gas spring strut has any role in keeping the canopy latched. This from the AMM:

With the canopy fully closed, push the canopy handle towards the canopy frame. This engages
the locking bolts in the fuselage holes. The spring assisted over-center lock holds the handle
in the closed position. The left locking bolt operates the micro-switch for the door unlocked
warning light (DOOR OPEN or DOORS). When the handle is flush with the canopy frame, the
canopy is locked. Push up on the rear of the canopy frame to make sure that it is locked.

This spring over-center technique is widely used in holding things in place. Most motorcycle side- and center-stands use this technique, for example. You should feel the latch go over-center as the spring is relaxed in the last 1/2 inch as you close it and feel it again as you open the latch.

My canopy strut is pretty well shot. It does have enough oomph to hold the canopy open once it's up, but inhibits the canopy not at all from slamming down if I let it free-fall with the rear door open. Yet I've had no problems with the canopy latch wanting to come undone.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote: My canopy strut is pretty well shot. It does have enough oomph to hold the canopy open once it's up, but inhibits the canopy not at all from slamming down if I let it free-fall with the rear door open. Yet I've had no problems with the canopy latch wanting to come undone.
Mine is getting that way, too. I replaced the rear hatch strut last year, will probably do the front one next annual. I did find a US source for these struts.

Steve
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

Steve wrote:Interesting, but my latch assembly (2001) does not have a gas strut. It also does not self-unlatch in flight...
I believe the strut was added in MÄM 40-139 in later models (2006-7?). I couldn’t find the original supplement for that.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Now I get it. We've been talking about different things. The older models (like mine) have a simple coil spring in the latch. So I thought the OP was referring to the canopy strut. Sorry about that.