4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N969GL
Airports: LL10

Re: OnePak / PilotPak

Post by GLDAS »

I switched to OnePack to save a few bucks. The approach to my home drome, a private field, was missing. Called Garmin, and they added the Jeppesen approach data to my subscription.
Dan P. Eldridge
Great Lakes Diamond
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

CFIDave wrote:Newer G1000 software will synchronize some files across PFD and MFD. It will also let you load NavData files prior to their effective date...
CFIDave,
Should one not update the NavData prior to the effective date? I recently updated the latest NavData, but it does not become effective until tomorrow (April 26th). It's showing up yellow now, but should be green tomorrow.

Also, Garmin is advertising a new Basemap (Cycle 18M1) for $99.95. Shouldn't that come with the annual subscription? (I'm happy to call Garmin if no one here knows the answer.)

Hans
-
N556LU DA40 XL 40.763 (available for flight training at RAM Aviation in Santa Rosa, California)
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

I have the North American "One Pak" - It is supposed to include the following per Garmin's website:

"This OnePak provides all of the following databases and their periodic updates, for all qualifying avionics in a single aircraft for an entire year.

Garmin Navigation
Obstacles
Terrain
SafeTaxi
Airport Directory
IFR/VFR Charts
Basemap
Frequency
"

My account is showing "Basemap" available for "purchase" versus "install"- something is not right!!
Just tried to call Garmin "Aviation Support" but they are closed until tomorrow!!!
I'll be calling in the AM!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Should one not update the NavData prior to the effective date? I recently updated the latest NavData, but it does not become effective until tomorrow (April 26th). It's showing up yellow now, but should be green tomorrow.
Hans,

That's interesting – I have certainly updated the Nav data before the effective date (I believe the regulation is that you are allowed to update it a maximum five days before the effective date) but have never seen a yellow or green indication – where are these visible?

Tom
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

If you update NavData before its effective date:
The new file doesn't need to be installed directly into G1000 memory to replace your pre-existing Active NavData file. Instead, the new NavData file can be written by the G1000 temporarily onto the SDcards you have installed in the bottom PFD/MFD slots as a Standby database. You control this when the G1000 asks if you'd like to update the Standby vs. Active databases: say "yes" to Standby, and "no" to Active.

After the effective date arrives:
The next time you boot up the G1000, the Standby NavData file you loaded previously will automatically be copied from your PFD/MFD bottom SDcards directly into memory to become Active; you don't have to do anything to make this happen.

This system is designed to permit you to update NavData (with next month's data) ahead of time, without prematurely overwriting your Active NavData for this month.

Of course you can always force the new NavData to be loaded into memory prematurely (i.e., before its effective date) by saying "yes" to Active when you load the file into the G1000. In that case, the future effective date for NavData will show up yellow instead of white on the MFD splash screen when you boot up the G1000.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

CFIDave,

Thanks, but my s/w version is quite old - and does not have the standby / active question when you update the databases - the only question is if to update
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ThomasD wrote:CFIDave,

Thanks, but my s/w version is quite old - and does not have the standby / active question when you update the databases - the only question is if to update
Yes, I should have made it clear that some older G1000 software doesn't have the the standby/active option when loading NavData. However my description above applies to most "legacy" G1000s. (G1000 NXi is quite different since you don't normally keep SDcards in the bottom slots; it therefore uses a different loading process.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

jb642DA wrote:I have the North American "One Pak" - It is supposed to include the following per Garmin's website:

"This OnePak provides all of the following databases and their periodic updates, for all qualifying avionics in a single aircraft for an entire year.

Garmin Navigation
Obstacles
Terrain
SafeTaxi
Airport Directory
IFR/VFR Charts
Basemap
Frequency
"

My account is showing "Basemap" available for "purchase" versus "install"- something is not right!!
Just tried to call Garmin "Aviation Support" but they are closed until tomorrow!!!
I'll be calling in the AM!
I had exactly the same problem. The fly.garmin.com website tried to force me to purchase the Basemap for $99.99 despite my having a current OnePak subscription that should have included it. The "install" button was grayed out.

So I called the Garmin support phone number. They said the new Basemap file was just added yesterday and that their system had not updated everyone's account yet. So within 5 seconds the person on the phone asked me to refresh my web page, and sure enough, the "install" button became available. I was then able to download the new Basemap file.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Thanks Dave -
My "basemap" was still grayed out a few minutes ago - had to call Garmin also to get it "fixed"!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
OriensFlight
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Registration: N556LU
Airports: KHES

Post by OriensFlight »

jb642DA wrote:Thanks Dave -
My "basemap" was still grayed out a few minutes ago - had to call Garmin also to get it "fixed"!!
Looks like everyone with the OnePack is going to have to make a call to Garmin. When I asked if this would be fixed for all OnePack owners in a week, the rep said: "Our system isn't set up for that. It won't be fixed in a week." Digging further, he explained how you only get one Basemap per year, and that I had already downloaded the old one. They still reset it for me instantly. They must know how their own T&Cs are written. Fortunately, I was only on hold for a minute.

-
Hans
N556LU DA40 XL 40.763 (available for flight training at RAM Aviation in Santa Rosa, California)