3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arthur
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: GIIM
Airports: CYKA

Transition from DA20 to DA40

Post by thefoxx »

Hello,
I am considering upgrading to a DA40 from a DA20 for my personal aircraft.

Is the transition pretty seamless? I have only 1 hour in the DA40 as a passenger so haven't had the opportunity.

Your advice is appreciated!
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Transition from DA20 to DA40

Post by Charles »

Did my license on a DA20 and bought the DA40 right after. Transition training on the DA40 was 1.5 hour with the usual stalls, slow flight, touch & go, etc., with emphasis on the only real difference: the constant speed prop. The DA40 quickly felt very familiar.
farleymike
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: michael
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N197TS
Airports: 7FL6

Post by farleymike »

It is a very easy transition, as Charles mentioned usually less than 2 hrs. Only other thing that may take a little time is getting comfortable with G1000 if you have never used it. DA40 is a great airplane as I have owned 2 of them.

That is one of the things Diamond has done right is the ease to transition from model to model.

If you decide to sell your DA20 let me know.
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

Ditto on the easy transition. The G1000 being the only part you need to put a lot of time into getting comfortable with. The Garmin G1000 PC trainer is useful for learning. As any aircraft learning the correct air speeds are vital. Once you learn to control the aircraft at the correct approach speeds then you get used to it very quickly.
I got my PPL in a DA20 then bought my own 20 to get an instrument rating. Traded that for my 40 and actually made enough on the trade from the original price I paid 9 months earlier that it paid for my flying for the instrument rating. The 20 was lots of fun but not the cross country aircraft the 40 is.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
Diamond13
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CYXU
Airports: CYXU

Post by Diamond13 »

Arthur. The C1 is a great little robust, and very fun airplane to fly. I have flown it for about a thousand hours. I did most of the certification test flights on it back in 1997, 1998 when we first designed it. The DA40 is a natural step up and very utilitarian in comparison to the C1. I have flown the DA40 from the beginning as well, including one with a IO-240 Continental Engine installed in it! It was a pleasure to put those two models to test! Great memories.......
Enjoy your flights....and BE SAFE..Rob
Ultrapilot1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N446SB
Airports: KPIE KTHA

Post by Ultrapilot1 »

Arthur, I had my DA20-C1 for two years and loved it but hated the lack of space especially during cross country trips. I stepped up to A DA40-180 with contant speed prop back in December and can't stop thinking what a wise choice I made. The planes feel similar and as others have pointed out, the biggest issue is learning the G1000. I now have 25 hrs. in it and feeling comfortable with the plane and the G1000. I bought the G1000 book Max Trescotts's G1000 Glass Cockpit Handbook. It answers every question you could have. Also brush up on the technique for using the constant speed prop. Even my wife who is a nervous flyer likes the DA40 more than the DA20. She says it feels more substantial. She likes being able to bring along a rollaboard suitcase rather than a duffel bag!
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

I guarantee you will love the 40 over the 20. The G1000/GFC 700/WAAS/ADSB, increase in useful load and the little bump in speed all combine to give you an aircraft that is immensely more capable than the 20 ever could be. You will be astounded at what you can do with the aircraft in the previously mentioned configuration. With the G1000 etc. you truly have a very capable cross country machine. I guarantee you will have no regrets.
Also, the best thing you can do to familiarize yourself with the G1000 is to go and buy yourself an EPU.
(http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ ... r24ces.php) Take your G1000 manual with you, plug your power unit into your plane and sit in the cockpit for hours pushing buttons and referencing your G1000 manual. You cannot beat it. For home study I have found the King School's study course to be the best of the lot. I have had experience with pretty much everything published out there with regard to learning the G1000 and have found the King course along with sitting in the cockpit for hours pushing buttons the best combination for mastering the G1000. Good luck and have fun. You will not regret the upgrade.
Chromer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daryl
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYLW

Post by Chromer »

Hi Arthur,
You'll love the change to the 40. The extra weight sure makes it nicer when flying in the mountains. We flew ours across Canada this past summer and had a great trip. Most days were 4-5 hours with the longest 7 hours and still not tired at the end of the flight.
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by thefoxx »

Wow!

Thank you everyone for all of your advice! Overwhelming to see the appreciation for the 40!

Its definitely helped me solidify that if all things work out, that it will be the right decision and next logical step!

Now, I guess to keep eyes open for the "right one"!

Being that the 20 is my first aircraft I have owned, and have got to know it pretty well mechanically, and attached to it as well - it mustn't be an easy thing letting go and starting that relationship all over again! Almost like getting a new girlfriend! :)

Much appreciated friends - this community is fantastic!
thefoxx
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by thefoxx »

Now this is an interesting story! I must know more! What was the reason they installed a IO-240 in a DA40 originally? That must have been incredibly underpowered!

You must have a lot of interesting stories regarding certification.

The school I acquired my PPL at was one of the very first adopters of the A1 (I believe it was around 1994/1995?) - and even had a loaner Austrian DV20 (Canadian Registered C-FSRX at the time) from Diamond here in BC while their London, ONT produced A1 was being completed. I initially learned on the Austrian DV20 one (This one was not night certified from what I remember? Something to do with a generator only being installed and not producing enough current?) This is where my love and fascination of Diamond began - it was MODERN looking, and completely not traditional - and same reason stands today why I think they are a great looking bird (every model)

Any interesting stories from that era you could share?!

Thanks again for your insight - what a great resource to have here!

Diamond13 wrote:Arthur. The C1 is a great little robust, and very fun airplane to fly. I have flown it for about a thousand hours. I did most of the certification test flights on it back in 1997, 1998 when we first designed it. The DA40 is a natural step up and very utilitarian in comparison to the C1. I have flown the DA40 from the beginning as well, including one with a IO-240 Continental Engine installed in it! It was a pleasure to put those two models to test! Great memories.......
Enjoy your flights....and BE SAFE..Rob