4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: Shutting up the TAWS

Post by Lou »

:) To be precise, we have TAS not TCAS. We can only dream about TCAS ...

There are two things that have startled me: the big yellow pac-man that attacks you when a target is near by (when you are on the ground) and the " Terrain-terrain Pull-up Pull-up", which sounds like it's from "Lost in Space" (that'll separate the generations :D ). I have gotten used to both, but the second one can really grate on one's nerves. Did not know that there was an inhibit. Good to know.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

rwtucker wrote:[ I think a lot of us who fly in the mountains, safely and following good mountain flying rules, would disagree with you. The G1000 algorithm appears to be programmed for more typical types of flights. It does not "like" having mountains all around you, sometimes even when your 2-minute projection is still in the clear. When flying in the backcountry, no pilot needs to be "cautioned" that there is terrain in the vicinity. Terrain is pretty much all you can see. Such warnings are kind of like saying "Caution, you are in the air." The alarm is definitely a nuisance in some cases and can be a distraction from good flying practices.
Yes. This. I've done a lot of my winter flying in the mountains of Nevada and Utah, often under cloud cover that sometimes only gave me a couple of thousand feet to thread between the peaks and the ceiling. It's fun flying if the weather is otherwise nice and clear, but no: I don't need to be yelled at when I'm already watching the peaks around me like a hawk, and the altitude heat map on the MFD is giving me everything I need to stay well clear of trouble. And I flew the Columbia Gorge in December (again, under fairly low cloud cover), and oy -- the nagging just wouldn't stop. No matter where I was, it wasn't OK with the TAWSette.

And I started this thread specifically because the TCAS seriously got in the way during some high-traffic flying in the pattern at North Vegas, causing me to miss important tower communications. Stepping on ATC when you're awaiting clarification of your position in a busy pattern, or clearance to turn base on an extended downwind, is just not acceptable.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I was just thinking. My 2002 DA40 with Avidyne TAS600 has a mute/recall button. My 2007 with the same system did not have the mute button. This can likely be added by your avionics shop. When my TAS600 tells me about traffic that I don't want to hear I tap the mute button and it silences the active alert. It does not shut off the system it just quiets the active alert.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Also other airplanes that I fly have a GPWS disable button. Check the install manuals and possibly this is an option? There were a couple of airports that we had to disable the GPWS. Clark Air Base comes to mind.