3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Re: iPad Mini: mounts and GPS boosting

Post by BlueYonder »

I should check that out. It's not clear to me that that's an option, or how I would access it if did exist.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Look at Garmin Connext Flight Stream. This allows integration between Foreflight (and Garmin Pilot) and Garmin hardware, including the 345.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bret
Aircraft Registration: N266ds
Airports:

Post by Pilot55 »

also i use armor glass anti-glare aviation tempered glass on my ipad. you can get it from
mygoflight.com. it truley works great.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by BlueYonder »

I've been corresponding with Foreflight customer service today, and their contention is that there is no way to get an iPad running Foreflight to talk to a G1000, not no way, not no how, not even with a Flight Stream. (I'm still going around with their customer service person on this, who is a tad inscrutable and less than forthcoming.)

I find this hard to believe, but if it's true, I'm going to seriously have to consider switching to Garmin's EFB program instead. Manually entering flight plans is getting OLD -- and I didn't pay all that money for a G1000-equipped plane to have to do this.

Glad for the recommendation on the armor glass product. I've actually bought it, just haven't had a chance to install it yet. It's on my list of things to do on the first big spring hangar day, which might be this week if the weather holds.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
Pilot55
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bret
Aircraft Registration: N266ds
Airports:

Post by Pilot55 »

I use garmin pilot with flightstream and it works great. weather traffic and up and down load flight plans. I have ads-b installed also
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Sara, I use a Ram suction cup mount attached just above the vent window. Works very well. The secondary battery goes in the pocket below, the vent cools the iPad.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Sara. The Garmin 345 will push ADSB wx and traffic as well as gps to your iPad running FF or Pilot via Bluetooth. From the Garmin website.

"Wirelessly stream weather, traffic, GPS position and backup attitude via Connext® link to Garmin Pilot™ and ForeFlight Mobile apps as well as the aera® 795/796 portables"

So no need for a Stratus unless you want a backup

However it will NOT do the reverse and push flight plans from the iPad to any Garmin navigator. Also as far as I can tell from the Garmin website neither the Flight Stream 210 nor the 510 pushes them to the G1000 in the DA40 regardless of whether you are using FF or Pilot. The FS 210 works with the 750/650/530W/430W and the 510 with the 750/650. Bret's aircraft is a 2003 so I don't think it has a G1000.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by BlueYonder »

Thanks for this. It's a great summary of what I needed to know re: connecting FF to G1000.

Which brings me back to the original question: What's the best way (if any) to boost the signal of my iPad in the cockpit? Forget connectivity -- I'd be happy enough if the GPS signal didn't drop out on me.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Check out Bad Elf GPS. Works really well.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Sara,
I am a little surprised by the loss of GPS signal in your iPad. I have an iPad Air2 (model MH322LL/A) and have flown all over the continental US and Alaska with it, and I don't recall losing GPS signal (using the internal GPS) for any significant length of time. Maybe my memory has become faulty, but the internal GPS seems to always have worked when the iPad was located at or above the bottom of the side window.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com