LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KFCI

Borked the Wingtip - new strobes?

Post by LTek1 »

After 2 years of successfully navigating my 41' hangar door, I instead caught the wingtip on a fence trying to park at the end of the line on the ramp. Busy day, had my eyes on pedestrians, crunch.

It's time for annual anyway, so I'll get a wingtip on order from Diamond (I cringe to think how much that might be) but wanted to see what the latest thoughts were on Nav/Strobe LED combos for the '40. I'm current on the other threads on this topic, but am curious if anyone else has done a recent upgrade or installation and had any recommendations both for product and process.

Thanks!
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Re: Borked the Wingtip - new strobes?

Post by Sandy »

I believe that the Whelen Orion 600 model is approved for the DA-40, although I do not have ready access to what I thought was a Diamond Technical Bulletin. In any event, I am sure that if you contact Whelen or Diamond, they will be able to tell you. It's this one... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... key=331407
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

We have the Orion 600s and would recommend them.
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

Odd... I thought that I had submitted this, but now I don't see it. In any event, I found what I was looking for. It was an email from Greg Ginnetti at Whelen:

Sandy,

As Whelen doesnt have STC's for the Diamond airplane (if your maintenance person needs them) we do recommend consulting with a service center, however, Diamond does purchase and install our OR600 as standard equipment. For a 28V airplane

http://www.whelen.com/install/146/14661.pdf

Landing and Taxi, You should check with your Diamond Service center. Whelen has no approvals they do use our products with their own mounting solution.

See attached work instruction

Thanks

Greg Ginnetti | Aviation Sales
Whelen Engineering Company Inc.
(USA) 860-718-2473
http://www.whelen.com/aviation/index
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Are you sure you need to replace the wingtip? Depends on how badly munged, of course. Mine got gouged on a barbed wire fence a few years back (let the record show it wasn't me :) ). Gouged through the material and screwed up the light fixture. But I just using filled epoxy to patch the hole, replaced the fixture and had the wingtip repainted. The whole thing was several hundred dollars.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
LTek1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lee
Airports: KFCI

Post by LTek1 »

It's cracked pretty good, though I will definitely give it another look and take a recommendation from my mechanic. Right now it's got white duct tape on it and is flying pretty well... during the daytime, of course! But I do think mine has a crack from being compressed, not just a gouge.
Lee Dickinson
N282DS, 2003 DA40 at KOFP
Avidyne Entegra (!), Dual GNS430, KAP140
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

LTek1 wrote:It's cracked pretty good, though I will definitely give it another look and take a recommendation from my mechanic. Right now it's got white duct tape on it and is flying pretty well... during the daytime, of course! But I do think mine has a crack from being compressed, not just a gouge.
Definitely consult with knowledgeable folks on it. I had a serious crack (92 cm) in my left wing from a bird strike in 2003. The shop that did my maintenance at the time insisted I need a new wing structure. But composite-knowledgeable folks said, no it needs to be repaired. This was done and to this day you can't tell where that crack was. Of course, maybe the replacement wingtip cost won't be wildly out of line.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
N503TS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N503TS
Airports: KACK

Post by N503TS »

I have a great carbon fiber repair guy in Rhode Island. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you his contact information. If you are still flying the plane then it's repairable.
Phil

Commercial Pilot
Nantucket Airport KACK
DA42 N503TS
DA40 N143RD (sold)
DA20 N286DC (sold)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Perhaps a little closer to you, Glenn Lawler and his guys at Southtec Aviation at KRUQ do great composite repair work on Diamonds; there's a paint shop located on the field as well.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Hi Lee -

Sorry to hear about your incident. I once came >this< close to doing the same thing.

Regarding strobes, I have about 1300 hrs on AeroLEDs Pulsar NSP strobes, and am very happy with them. See this thread for installation details: link.

Chris