3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Re: GTX 345R Bluetooth

Post by 40flyer »

My first 345R box also would not connect well over BT. Garmin is sending a replacement to try. I hope they aren't just recirculating previously identified bad boxes and wonder why they aren't catching this issue in the final ATP.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Latest development: My shop spent two weeks going back and forth with Garmin (factory rep). Garmin referenced a problem in which a customer had an aircraft cover sitting in the back seat and removing it fixed the connectivity issue. They offered nothing else - but in a vindictive twist - they told my shop that the Flight Stream is 'not authorized' for installation in the DA40 (!) This was a factory representative, so the shop understandably does not feel comfortable installing the Flight Stream in my airplane at all.

If anybody has an STC number or other documentation used to support a Flight Stream installation in their aircraft, it would be great if you could forward to me. I don't think I have the time or patience to roll the dice with a replacement 345 unit.

Dan
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

If you think it might be of help Dan, I could fax you a copy of the logbook entry for this work that was completed almost exactly a year ago. Or feel free to call me at 360-658-8866. Scott
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

OK, guys... At what shop(s) are you having the GTX345R installed? ... and which antenna(s) are they using? Costs???

I have a 2005 non-WAAS, and I cannot seem to find a local shop (Atlanta) that has actually done an install.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

A shop that has done several of these installations in DA-40 and DA-42's is Aerotronics in Billings, MT.
406-259-5006 - ask for either Steve or Isaac. However they're under a deadline at the moment and I'd wait until at least noon (MST) tomorrow, if you're going to call them. The antenna they use for this installation is a Comant CI-2580-206 com/GPS WAAS antenna - which can replace the existing top mount antenna using the same footprint. Given their experience with Diamond airframes, they can likely give a fairly accurate quote over the phone. This is not an easy installation, especially for those of us flying with outdated G1000 software / non-WAAS systems - as all kinds of incompatibility issues can crop up with getting the GTX-345R to interface properly.
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

Ok, second 345R installed and still same problem, limited and intermittent BT connectivity to iPad at pilots seat. Customer support asked whether antenna pointed correctly and I told him it points up from the unit based on what my shop said. He offered no solution. I have a call into the local sales rep to discuss FlightStream 210 as a fix. At this point I'm considering a GDL 82 alternative and continuing to use my Stratux box for the iPad although I'll get no AHRS. Will obviously not get straight ADS-B info on the primaries but will get about $4k back from Garmin.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

If you upgrade the Stratus (a lot cheaper than upgradig any Garmin box) you get the AHRS. Even if you have a total electrical failure in the plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
creativewebz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Grant
Aircraft Registration: N415DS
Airports: KHSV

Post by creativewebz »

Sandy wrote:OK, guys... At what shop(s) are you having the GTX345R installed? ... and which antenna(s) are they using? Costs???

I have a 2005 non-WAAS, and I cannot seem to find a local shop (Atlanta) that has actually done an install.

I went to Avionics Solutions in Lafayette, LA. REALLY REALLY GREAT PEOPLE! They did my 345 install and my flight stream install. Everything is working as it should now.