Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Standby Alternator pre-flight check.

Post by Rich »

Pretty much whenever anything was changed in my plane I wound up with a supplement for the Flight Manual. In fact, this is even true of optional equipment that was delivered with the plane. I've got like a dozen of these things. There should be something, somewhere about how to operate the standby alternator. Does it have it's own voltage regulator, for example? If so, what kind?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N905PA
Airports: KDWH

Post by saramse »

In case you haven't already found the answer.....I also have the Standby Alternator option on my plane (N905PA). As mentioned above, there should be an AFM Supplement (which I have and could send to you, if necessary). Here is the Checklist Procedure from the AFM Supplement (it was not in my checklist either):
BEFORE ENGINE START
Master Switch and STBY ALT Master Switch ON

BEFORE TAKEOFF
Add the following procedures after item "Throttle -- 1800 RPM" (I actually do this after the Magneto and RPM lever checks at 2000 RPM as part of the run-up)
Primary Alternator master switch - OFF (Battery remains ON)
STBY ALT ON annunciator - Check ON
Increase electrical load as necessary (to >20A). Check STBY ALT ON annunciator FLASHING (if exceed 20A max)
Decrease electrical load as necessary. Check STBY ALT ON annunciator - ON (not flashing)
Throttle - 1000 RPM
Primary Alternator master switch - ON
STBY ALT ON annunciator - Check OFF
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Hi Scott, thanks for posting your procedure, nice to see you have the same setup as me (I was starting to feel left out LOL). I did get the supplements for my plane from Ray at Premier Aircraft who was very very helpful. The procedures are exactly as you post and I have updated my check list and POH with the docs. I have tried this procedure and it appears that the bulbs in my [std by alt] indicator are either blown or the the alternator is not working. My plane goes to XU Aviation next week for mags and air conditioning retro fit kit install so I will have them look at the stand by alternator. Thanks again.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Rich wrote:Pretty much whenever anything was changed in my plane I wound up with a supplement for the Flight Manual. In fact, this is even true of optional equipment that was delivered with the plane. I've got like a dozen of these things. There should be something, somewhere about how to operate the standby alternator. Does it have it's own voltage regulator, for example? If so, what kind?
It does have its own voltage regulator and as Ray from Premier Aircraft explained to me, the Standby Alternator (which is made by B & C Specialty Products) does not charge the battery, it simply, once activated by way of the switch, provides 20 AMPS of power to the main bus as soon as it senses a voltage drop from the battery. In talking this through with my instructor he suggested that it should have been called a Standby Generator and not Alternator. Here are the part numbers B & C Specialty 20A 28v Standby Alternator, P/N BC410-100-1, voltage regulator P/N BC203-20.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Here is the wiring diagram for the StanBy Alternator in my DA40.
Attachments
Stndby Alt.png
Josh F
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joshua
Aircraft Registration: N867DS
Airports: KGAI

Post by Josh F »

For future reference I also have one of these, any the mechanic who did my 2000hr/12 year had never seen it before. Thanks for the wiring detail and checklist items.