3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

TAS600 'no direction'

Post by ThomasD »

Hi all,

Flying yesterday it was fairly busy and got a number of TAS600 callouts, as expected in busy airspace.
However, what was NOT normal was that the TAS600 did not give any direction information - nor display the traffic location on the MFD.
The callout was aircraft "low/high less than one mile no direction": so it seems that the TAS600 was picking up the other aircraft transponders; it could work out the distance but for some reason it was not giving the direction (and that is probably why nothing was displayed on the MFD).

I can't find anything in the TAS600 nor G1000 manual with the no direction annunciation.

All LRUs showed green check marks on the AUX page. GPS, VORs etc and everything else seemed to be operating fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tom
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: TAS600 'no direction'

Post by CFIDave »

Very rarely, I've had the experience where the TAS600 picks up your own aircraft's transponder with the type of behavior you noticed. Since your system reported "less than one mile" did you get a yellow ball on the MFD sitting right on top of your aircraft's icon? Did you ever see another aircraft nearby?

This behavior is actually more common with TIS rather than TAS.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Re: TAS600 'no direction'

Post by ThomasD »

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the thought, but I am pretty sure that isn't the answer. No yellow ball at all on the MFD; and on almost all occasions we were able to visually spot the traffic called out e.g. as "low less than one mile". So it seems like the TAS600 was seeing transponders of other aircraft, but for some reason could not resolve the direction.