2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Patrick
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: GLWLW
Airports: BREIGHTON YORKSHIRE

Re: Low Voltage Warning

Post by Mpatrickw »

Thank-you all - very much appreciated!

The voltage regulator on a DA40 2.0s is not adjustable I'm afraid. It is external to the alternator and located under the P1 seat (with MAM 40-151 having been carried out).

Karl: many thanks for the pics. We'll check this wiring asap and also as Rich suggests the wiring and amps check for the wiring to and from the regulator.

I'll let you know how we get on. In the meantime, if anyone else has ever seen this problem, I'd still like to hear from you.
DA40 D - Centurion 2.0s, Full IFR panel, Aspen PFD 1000 Pro, Mode S, steam gauges, G-LWLW - Breighton, Yorkshire, UK. Avatar is my grandson Leonardo.
Valera
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Valera
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: URRUB
Airports: ukhh

Post by Valera »

I have a regulator while sitting. Have you replaced him? Is there a photo controller on all sides?

Надіслано від мого Lenovo A680_ROW, використовуючи Tapatalk
Valera
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Valera
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: URRUB
Airports: ukhh

Post by Valera »

On your aircraft is made by MAM 40-151?

Надіслано від мого Lenovo A680_ROW, використовуючи Tapatalk
Mpatrickw
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Mpatrickw »

MAM refers to a Mandatory Design Change. I think, but don't quote me, that the 151 refers to all serial numbers after 151 have this design change. OAM refers to an optional equipment change. MAM is not a post production change as are SBs or ADs, but a change to the production design at the factory.

In this case, I understand that the voltage regulator was integral to the alternator before MAM 40-151 and after Ser No. 151, it is a (possibly different) component located remotely from the alternator under the P1 seat.

Alternators are engine specific. I know from painful experience when I had to scrap a 100hr alternator with my previous Thielert 1.7 when fitting the new 2.0s....
DA40 D - Centurion 2.0s, Full IFR panel, Aspen PFD 1000 Pro, Mode S, steam gauges, G-LWLW - Breighton, Yorkshire, UK. Avatar is my grandson Leonardo.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

You say you measured the voltage at the alternator. If this was done by reading the voltage between the positive terminal and aircraft ground, be sure there is not an issue with the alternator output ground cable. I've seen all sorts of problems with battery and alternator ground cables.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Mpatrickw
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Mpatrickw »

Thanks Rich, a good thought. We'll check both alternator and battery ground cables.