3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Rudder cable replacement requirement changed

Post by linzhiming »

With the change of the DA40 type certificate holder to DAI in Canada, it seems that the rudder cable replacement requirement has changed (essentially reverted to the old requirement):

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... dendum.pdf

The "on condition" requirement for the steel-based rudder cables has disappeared and there is now a general requirement to replace rudder cables every 5 years/3000 hours, which is not good news.

I wonder what the legal position now is. Based on this, would a strict interpretation of this mean that any aircraft that did not have any rudder cable replacement performed in the the last 5 years are now effectively immediately non-airworthy as the aircraft would no longer fulfil the airworthiness limitation of replacement of rudder cables every 5 years??

Wolfgang
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Re: Rudder cable replacement requirement changed

Post by smoss »

I'm thinking this is merely an oversight in wording, and is referring to the non-stainless steel cables. Note that it also references section 5-10, which has not been changed, and still has "on condition" for the SS cables. Also, the addendum is only Transport Canada endorsed, not FAA endorsed.
Steve
DA40 XL
Kyle
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Registration: N283DS
Airports: KNEW

Post by Kyle »

How would you know if you have stainless steel rudder cables or not? Was there a certain year that they started being used or was this a factory option?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Kyle wrote:How would you know if you have stainless steel rudder cables or not? Was there a certain year that they started being used or was this a factory option?
With a magnet?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

For US N-registered aircraft, AMM Chapter 5 maintenance items are only recommended, whereas AMM Chapter 4 items must always be followed as "Airworthiness Limitations."

As a result of the Type Certificate moving to Canada, I don't think the Diamond Canada has changed any of the basic AMMs yet. The new AMM Addendum documents for different DA40 models only restate Chapter 4 Airworthiness Limitations.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I just downloaded the latest manual. I did not see anything relating to rudder cables in Chapter 4 of the AMM. Could you tell us where you are reading this?
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by linzhiming »

Lance Murray wrote:I just downloaded the latest manual. I did not see anything relating to rudder cables in Chapter 4 of the AMM. Could you tell us where you are reading this?
Hi Lance,

I was about to write that the link to the AWL list is in the link which I pasted in my first post above (http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... dendum.pdf) only to find out that the link seems to be broken now.

The link brought one to an addendum of the AMM which introduces a new AWL list (a chapter 4 list), which has many more items listed than the current AMM, including making the MSI structural inspection at 12 years an airworthiness limitation item whilst it was previously a chapter 5 item.

Let's see whether the link gets restored or whether a new addendum gets posted.

Wolfgang
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by linzhiming »

CFIDave wrote:For US N-registered aircraft, AMM Chapter 5 maintenance items are only recommended, whereas AMM Chapter 4 items must always be followed as "Airworthiness Limitations."

As a result of the Type Certificate moving to Canada, I don't think the Diamond Canada has changed any of the basic AMMs yet. The new AMM Addendum documents for different DA40 models only restate Chapter 4 Airworthiness Limitations.
Agree on the first statement, however it was the Chapter 4 AWL list that was significantly expanded and also made the MSI structural inspection at 12 years an airworthiness limitation (chapter 4 item).

Based on that reading, they would be mandatory items for N-registered aircraft.

Wolfgang
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by linzhiming »

smoss wrote:I'm thinking this is merely an oversight in wording, and is referring to the non-stainless steel cables. Note that it also references section 5-10, which has not been changed, and still has "on condition" for the SS cables. Also, the addendum is only Transport Canada endorsed, not FAA endorsed.
I am not sure an FAA endorsement is required. The DA40 AFM and AMM issued under EASA regulations didn't require/have an FAA endorsement as far as I know? Although the type certificate is now maintained under Canadian regulations, I assumed that the requirements would automatically apply to N-registered aircraft, similar to how new AFM and AMM documents issued under EASA regulations would apply?

Wolfgang
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The current Chapter 4 states the following:

"THE AIRWORTHINESS LIMITATIONS SECTION IS FAA APPROVED AND SPECIFIES MAINTENANCE REQUIRED UNDER SECS. 43.16 AND 91.403 OF THE FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS UNLESS AN ALTERNATIVE PROGRAM HAS BEEN FAA APPROVED."

I would think that whatever changes have been made as part of this addendum would also have to be approved for them to apply to N-registered aircraft.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA