Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Rudder cable replacement requirement changed

Post by Karl »

Kyle wrote:How would you know if you have stainless steel rudder cables or not? Was there a certain year that they started being used or was this a factory option?
Go to the Diamond website and you can download the SI for your aircraft that is titled "Identifying stainless steel cables".
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Airports: HWV

Post by Hans »

Does all this mean that if your DA-40 is registered in US its only "suggested" and not mandatory ?
Thx
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The links for the DA40-180 (and the DA40-FP/TDI) are still broken, but I was able to access the DA40 NG addendum to AMM Chapter 4. I didn't see a rudder cable replacement listed. However, it does list the following as a new Chapter 4 requirement for DA40 NGs:
(2) Life Time Limit / Structure Checks There is no structural life limit.

A Major Structural Inspection (MSI) is required: at 6000 hours ± 50 or 12 years ±6 months since new (that which comes first) and: at 4000 hours ± 50 or 12 years ±6 months since new (that which comes first) after the initial MSI

Note: The DA 40 NG has been designed and tested under a 'damage tolerant structure' philosophy. Therefore the structural inspections given in Chapter 05 cover all required structure checks.

For the DA40-180 this is currently a Chapter 5 inspection -- http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... 40-475.pdf

Assuming this change is planned for the DA40-180, the current DA40-180 Chapter 4 states that;
SERVICE BULLETINS OR OTHER DOCUMENTS REVISING THIS SECTION WHICH CONTAIN A STATEMENT THAT THE DOCUMENT IS AUSTRO CONTROL GMBH (ACG) / EUROPEAN AVIATION SAFETY AGENCY (EASA ) APPROVED ARE CONSIDERED FAA APPROVED.
The question then is whether the addendum applies to N-registered aircraft when the change is made by Transport Canada instead of EASA.

I'm just speculating, but it seems unlikely there are any DA40 NGs that have already flown 6000 hours, nor to my knowledge are any 12 years old yet so this would seem to only apply to NGs prospectively. That would not be the case with other DA40s so perhaps the addendum is being re-worked.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Hans »

I currently own a 2004 DA-40 with 440hrs on it...always hangered and in impeccable condition..my question is that all the aviation “talk” is very confusing...at this point what would be the absolute mandatory issues that I have to address...
Thx guys
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if Diamond Canada somehow re-instituted the 5-year rudder cable replacement requirement for stainless steel cables. (I had to actually do this when my DA40 turned 5 years old back in 2013, one month before the requirement for replacement at 5 years was eliminated -- it's a lot of work. :( )

Replacement is not included in the DA40 NG addendum from Canada, so I doubt it will be added to the new Canadian Lycoming DA40-180 Chapter 4 Airworthiness Limitations. The rudder systems on the 2 aircraft are identical.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

My rudder cables were also changed prior to the elimination of the requirement. Its the new Major Structural Inspection (MSI) that I'm worried about. Has anyone ever had one done? Not required for N-registered, but it is currently a Chapter 5 procedure.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

blsewardjr wrote:The links for the DA40-180 (and the DA40-FP/TDI) are still broken, but I was able to access the DA40 NG addendum to AMM Chapter 4. I didn't see a rudder cable replacement listed. However, it does list the following as a new Chapter 4 requirement for DA40 NGs:
(2) Life Time Limit / Structure Checks There is no structural life limit.

A Major Structural Inspection (MSI) is required: at 6000 hours ± 50 or 12 years ±6 months since new (that which comes first) and: at 4000 hours ± 50 or 12 years ±6 months since new (that which comes first) after the initial MSI

Note: The DA 40 NG has been designed and tested under a 'damage tolerant structure' philosophy. Therefore the structural inspections given in Chapter 05 cover all required structure checks.

This is an amendment that increases the times. The origional MSI was required at 2000 hr intervals.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Hans wrote:I currently own a 2004 DA-40 with 440hrs on it...always hangered and in impeccable condition..my question is that all the aviation “talk” is very confusing...at this point what would be the absolute mandatory issues that I have to address...
Thx guys
Hi Hans,

It is quite difficult to answer this question without a lot of further information.
Your maintenance guy would be the best one to explain it.
I would recommend that you download the maintenance manuals and read chapter 4-5.
Then come back and ask any questions.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Hans »

Thx
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Hans »

NO MORE RUDDER CABLE REPLACEMENTS!
by Urquhart » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm
:D Revision 7 of the DA40 maintence manual is on the web site now, just got off the phone with Diamond service rep....

Rudder cable replacement is only On Condition now, unless someone has changed their cables to non-stainless steel.

The 2000 hr fuel/oil hose change is now on condition

The fuel tank hose inspection is now every 8 years (was 5yr/1000hrs)

The fuel tank finger filter change is now every 2000hrs (was 1000hrs)