3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Re: More Cabin Heat

Post by gordsh »

Hans wrote:There is a piece of orange 2” hose ... it’s about 4”Long and connects the “heating wrap” around the muffler directly to the vent box into the cabin. Its an angular connection that is a poor design .Mine had some “wear” in it and I replaced it...that seemed to help...you can view it by looking up under the strut on the front wheel
I left my plane to XU Aviation for doing the Mags (500 hours). I will email them right now and ask them to check the tubing.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The 'SCAT' tubing between the muffler shroud and heater valve on my aircraft failed as well, although living in TX, I didn't notice until Annual Inspection time. When I replaced it I used 'SCEET' tubing, which is much heavier and more durable. Only problem is the tight complex bend required to install it. It looks new after about 5 years in place.
DSCN3949.jpg
I also used this high-temperature silicone tubing for the hose from the air intake on the front cowl to the muffler shroud.

Steve
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Just in case anyone needs a link to the DA40 {Airplane Flight Manual} 6.1.01-E Rev 9 [2014-01-31]

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... mplete.pdf
Attachments
DA40 Temp.png
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Based on all the advice/feedback I have received from every one here (thanks very much) I did some detailed digging and I believe I located a diagram showing all the covers/baffles that I need for -40 weather flying here in Canada in the DA40.

I have coloured the parts in green and numbered them 1-3 in red. I already have #3 which is the oil cooler winter baffle but I am not sure I got #1 and #2 with the airplane so I have to check on that, if not I will ask Jeff at XU-Aviation to order them from the factory for me. (The factory did not want to sell parts to me directly on previous issue - had to go through dealer).
Attachments
DA40 Winter Covers.png
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

#1 and #2 on your diagram are metal heat shields riveted to the inside of the cowling to protect it from the heat of the nearby exhaust. There are permanently installed and are not baffles.

Steve
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Thanks Steve for the clarification as they looked like baffles on the drawing. Appreciate it.
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Airports: HWV

Post by Hans »

That bend is an SOB...make sure your clamps are on tight
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Hans, I just remembered that I took a picture of my DA40 just before I left XU Aviation where the servicing will happen. They had just taken off the engine cowling and I snapped a pic with my phone. I believe that the tube you are referring to is visible at the bottom of the engine?
Attachments
DA40 cover off.jpg
Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Airports: HWV

Post by Hans »

No, there is a pic of it from Steve on this thread. Let me know
Hans
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Shawn, you're showing the tubing that takes ram air coming in from the front and into the heat exchanger. Steve's was the one that takes it from the heat exchanger to the heat control valve.
But...
You have a Powerflow exhaust and Steve's is the original factory exhaust system. IIRC the Powerflow outlet to the control valve doesn't have the bend that Steve shows.

And there's one more wrinkle. When Powerflow came up with their design there was an additional couple of parts supplied to augment its heating function. This mounted on the No. 1 exhaust riser to preheat the air on its way to the main heat exchanger. A subsequent revision to the system made it incompatible with these parts. But it was always optional, so it may be you need it and it wasn't installed?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5