Hans
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans Wiederkehr
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: HWV

Re: More Cabin Heat

Post by Hans »

Steve’s looks just like mine, that bend is tough to manipulate the tube on there...
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Rich wrote:Shawn, you're showing the tubing that takes ram air coming in from the front and into the heat exchanger. Steve's was the one that takes it from the heat exchanger to the heat control valve.
But...
You have a Powerflow exhaust and Steve's is the original factory exhaust system. IIRC the Powerflow outlet to the control valve doesn't have the bend that Steve shows.

And there's one more wrinkle. When Powerflow came up with their design there was an additional couple of parts supplied to augment its heating function. This mounted on the No. 1 exhaust riser to preheat the air on its way to the main heat exchanger. A subsequent revision to the system made it incompatible with these parts. But it was always optional, so it may be you need it and it wasn't installed?
Not sure, I will have to check on that. I will ask the XU team to sort it out for e and tell me if was left off or not needed.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I may be the most northerly based DA40 owner on the continent so I thought I would weigh in here.

I use the baffles pretty much all winter. They work well. But you have to have realistic expectations. A fibreglass box travelling through minus 28 degree air is subject to incredible heat losses. Our aircraft are remarkably comfortable in these circumstances. If you were flying a C-172 for instance, you would be much colder and bundled up. At least our airplanes seal up. My buddy who is a northern pilot thinks I'm spoiled.

On the other hand, for those who are interested, really cold air is unbelievably stable and smooth. There are some really interesting weather effects, particularly inversions. I have done circuits where it is minus 15 on the ground and plus 5 in the circuit (pattern).
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

I’ve only owned my DA40 for about a month. I know my system is putting out heat. It keeps the canopy defrosted and you can sort of feel the presence of heat on the floor, but should I feel air moving or blowing out? How much hot air should I feel? I wouldn’t trade my Diamond for anything, but all my prior experience is in Cessnas and Pipers and those would cook you out if you left the heat full open. I have the winter kit installed.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The original (non-Powerflow) exhaust system was known to be deficient in providing heat. It was due to an extra barrier between the air destined for the cabin and the "muffler". This deficiency was actually pointed out to me by Jeff Owen when we picked the plane up in London. The Powerflow system provides better heating, exposing more heat-transfer area to said airflow.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

While going through a box of items I received with the DA40 I found the 2 items below. One is definitely another winter baffle but I can not locate exactly where it goes. Does anyone know where this yellow baffle goes?

Also the other item I found is a black weight belt/strap with Velcro ends and 2 rectangular shaped weights embedded in the material. I am just going to assume its for the DA40...Can some one tell me what this is for?
Attachments
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Don't know about the strap, but the baffle is installed in the vent intake in the left wing root. It cuts down on the cold air blowing in from the plenum in the "roll bar" from the map lights and speaker.

Steve
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Steve wrote:Don't know about the strap, but the baffle is installed in the vent intake in the left wing root. It cuts down on the cold air blowing in from the plenum in the "roll bar" from the map lights and speaker.

Steve
Perfect, thanks Steve. Did not even think to look for opening in the wing....never checked that opening in my walk around either. I will add to my walk around procedures.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote:The 'SCAT' tubing between the muffler shroud and heater valve on my aircraft failed as well, although living in TX, I didn't notice until Annual Inspection time. When I replaced it I used 'SCEET' tubing, which is much heavier and more durable. Only problem is the tight complex bend required to install it. It looks new after about 5 years in place.

DSCN3949.jpg

I also used this high-temperature silicone tubing for the hose from the air intake on the front cowl to the muffler shroud.

Steve
FWIW, the tubing from the Powerflow to the heater control box is much better. A short straight shot between the two.
Powerflow heater connection.
Powerflow heater connection.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

gordsh wrote:While going through a box of items I received with the DA40 I found the 2 items below. One is definitely another winter baffle but I can not locate exactly where it goes. Does anyone know where this yellow baffle goes?

Also the other item I found is a black weight belt/strap with Velcro ends and 2 rectangular shaped weights embedded in the material. I am just going to assume its for the DA40...Can some one tell me what this is for?
I don't actually know what the strap is for but I have seen something similar.
A weighted strap wrapped around the fuselage just forwards of the fin allows one person to to easily lift the nose.
I saw it being used to hand push the aircraft backwards by balancing the aircraft on its main wheels.
It allows one person to push and steer a DA 40 backwards without the need of a steering arm.